Guppy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tinyninjafishy

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of the female guppies I got from the fish store, was pregnant when I got it, had some fry. I retrieved 8 fry, dont know if that was all of them but am assuming there were more. A couple of the frys tails are "up" if that makes sense. Can anybody tell me if this is bad or not and what to do if it is bad? Thanks:ermm:

If by up you mean pointed then they are probably pin tail or pointed tail. But if you mean they are pointed upwards im not quite sure as to what to tell you. Im sorry i cant be of more help as like i said before i am new to breeding guppies myself. Although i am in college now for marine biology so if i could be of more help in the future i would be more than happy to.

Haven't figured out the whole picture thing haha. But I have been researching it and think it may be a spinal disease :\

If it is a spinal disease, from all my research on hazards of excessive inbreeding, i think thats what your problem is concidering the spinal disease. Many guppies who are severely inbred can suffer from hernias and spinal problems that can cause death. Again i hope this eases you from thinking you did something wrong. Its not your fault. Excessive inbreeding is a serious issue. I wish i could help more. I am currently entolled in college for marine biology and my main projectbis a guppie breeding program so in a couple of months pm me and maybe we can work something out. I have pics up now of my pair and gonna have some new pics of my male up in a few. Again im sorry for your loss.

It can cause death? Also I got them from a local chain store and the female that gave birth to these fry was pregnant when I bought them. Thank you for all the information. Good luck in your marine biology program. I was thinking of going in to marine biology but opted against it. Instead I am hopefully going for an engineering degree.

Well that actually sounds very interesting. The best of luck to you. If you would be interested in some very healthy guppie fry in a couple of months feel free to let me know. If you look at my profile you can see some.....ehhhh..... Decent pics of my mail and female. Pics were taken with my ipod so not the best pics. Lol. Again you are very welcome and i hope to hear from you soon.

I saw them! They look very nice! Hoping one of my females is very close to popping, I will post a picture of her!

Here she is. Any idea of how close she is?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 75
As i previously stated if they "squared" off in the past 12 hrs. They should be giving birth soon.

Like i said previously if u need to, mail me the fry and i will sex them and see what options we have to work with. Maybe if i can breed them i could pass on some fry from those fry back to you. Let me know.

I was asking how far along my pregnant female is? And if she is squared off? Because I am not positive but I think she is.

Unfortunately it is close to impossible to determine the exact delivery date of the fry but judging by your picture i would say about less than a week. Definately less than a week.

I almost forgot to mention why i strongly suspect excessive inbreeding of your female. Another unhealthy side effect of extreme invreeding is a much lower fertility rate which, in your case, can lead to improper fertility. In addition excessive invreeding may also result in severe deformaties.

Back
Top Bottom