Guppy fry breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brittanyfoust

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 10 fry which have slowly dwindled down to 4. I now have 1 male and 3 female which I heard is the best ratio. Thats amazing that it happened naturally. Now my 3 femmales look pregnant. Im a little disappointed because both males had the same orange and black colors and the females are all clear and black. I want more of a variety. I may by a bigger tanl later just to do different varieties of guppies

Breeding Fancy Guppies

I had 10 fry which have slowly dwindled down to 4. I now have 1 male and 3 female which I heard is the best ratio. Thats amazing that it happened naturally. Now my 3 femmales look pregnant. Im a little disappointed because both males had the same orange and black colors and the females are all clear and black. I want more of a variety. I may by a bigger tanl later just to do different varieties of guppies

Hello Britt...

Keep the tank water clean by removing and replacing half the water every week or so and float some stem plants like Water sprite, Water wisteria and Pennywort in the tank, so your females and little ones have a place to feel secure.

When you see the little ones, start feeding your fish a little more often. Well fed adult Guppies are less likely to bother the fry.

B

If you want a little more variety just go to your local pet store and get a new male because all of his traits will eventually be passed down mixing up the genetics with new fun colors and fin shapes

Brittanyfoust said:

Honestly i wouldn't try to breed brother to sister. Eventually the genes may get too similar and they have deformed babies, and you'll end up with a bad strain. Adding a different male can help, but if you like the colors you have, every 5th generation a new strain of guppies ( male pr female) should be added so the normal guppy genetics are re inserted into the strain.

Your Fancy Guppies

Hello again Britt...

If you buy more Guppies, then save your money on the males and just get more females. The females will already be pregnant and will give you all the males you'll need.

Don't be afraid of crossbreeding. Guppies have been crossbred for decades and all come from the same line. I started with six feeder females six years ago and now have seven tanks and around 1,500 individuals. The different colors and tail shapes are amazing. No two are alike.

Since you're getting into Guppies, you need to give them plenty of room to swim and pure water conditions. They thrive in large numbers of their own kind.

Have fun!

B

Back
Top Bottom