Guppy Fry NEWLY BORN

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmonih

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am so happy. We successfully have one batch of Guppy Fry unfortunately some go caught in the filter - nothing I could do about it. They are in a 55 g tank and I need good filtration to keep good aquarium conditions. Putting a net over the filter makes it perform poorly.

I was able to net about 20-30 of them. I know there about 20 or so (maybe more) hiding in the plants (it is very well planted, plus I threw in some more bushy plants) that I couldn't catch. I am setting up the 20 g for the fry because my other female Guppy is expecting to drop at any moment.

I have the fry food that's needed. I know that I need to separate the males from the females at about 3-4 wks. I am hoping to get at least 2 males and 4 females out of the first batch to set up a breeding program. The rest will be for demonstration aquariums and to sell.

Any feedback I would appreciate it. Have a wonderful day.

YAY! congratulations! ^^ o.o you can determine the sex in 3-4 weeks? >_< I had to wait 2-3 months for my mollies @__@... oh well there was only 2 males anyways ^^; and personally I think the girls are prettier

Hope they live!

mr86mister said:
congratulations!!!

do you run a fish shop or just a side hobby of selling them?

Actually we are just beginning our Breeding Program to open our own fish shop. More than likely we will keep the next 2 fry batches and then start priming the following ones to be sold.

Thanks for the congrats - everyone - we are very excited.

I am happy to say the Guppy Fry are doing wonderfully. We have about 30 of them. They are getting bigger and we can see some have black tails. We can't tell the sex yet on them but I am just amazed at how these little fish grow. I do have to say it is fun when we feed them. They are now all free swimming in our community 55 g - no one bothers them and they all pretty much hang together in the plants except for a few of the brave ones that have always swam the entire tank.

Its also a good idea to introduce new males or females from different gene pools. Fish naturally inbreed a lot, but you start ending up with deformities when teh pool gets too shallow.

keep us updated with your breeding program and all the stuff from your shop

i'm hoping to have a side shop for a hobby when i'm older :D

Thanks everyone. We plan on separating the babies in another couple of weeks. We aren't able to sex every single one of them just yet. Some you can tell they are male/female others are still a little small to be sexed just yet. We also plan on introducing some new Guppies into our breeding program but we want to see how the 2 drops turn out first.

A good note: Our 29 g Guppy black female just dropped. We've caught (in the net breeder) about 7 of them. We think there's around 20 of them free swimming. Hopefully we can catch the majority. It seems that we have had good luck with using the net breeder for a few wks and then letting them become free swimmers.

Now we have 2 set of Fry Guppy one in the 90 g and one in the 29 g. Gotta get our Fry Holding tank up and running.

I started out with 2 pairs of Fancy guppies then had like 20 fry (lost none that I'm aware of) in a 5 gal :| . So I put them outside in the pond and now there are about 50. The gold ones are awesome looking! :D

what are your water parameters if you dont mind me asking? The GF wants to get some babies out of hers. We have several females and males, but they dont seem to be getting knocked up. water is 7.8 using *high ph test kit, fully cycled and working on stocking up now. congrats on the little ones as well. thanks,

Wow, I never have had a problem with our guppies breeding... my sister had a male and a female and about 4 months later, we have far too many guppies. The babies grew up, and she unfortunately left them in the same aquarium and they had babies too... thankfully they were with mollies so not too many survived, but enough did... How many males and females do you have together in what size tank? IF there are other fish in the tank, it could be that your guppies are getting "knocked up" but the babies get eaten before you notice them.

but they dont seem to be getting knocked up.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I think that phrase is hillarious.....sorry

How long does it take a female to have fry? I have a female now that is looking really FAT. I have a breeding net, and I am going to let her swim in the main tank until she has the fry. I stare at the tank for hours on end hoping to see the babies being born. I want to catch as many as possible and put them in the net, becuase I am afraid if I miss the birth they will all become angel food.

PS-> I know that angels and guppies don't mix, but I haven't seen any aggression issues yet. If and when a problem arises, I will seperate the problem fish.

fish population is in my sig.

saw a single baby however in the corner of the tank. I think you may be right, snack food for something or another. Gonna have to add a bunch of floating crap for them to hide in for a batch.
Strangest thing, lost a ram and a chinese algae eater this morning. Both looked paralized, they could breath but there bodies were solid rigid. I scooped em and put in quarantine, hour later both dead. Now if the other chinese algae eater dies i will finally be rid of them.
Curious on the "actual" requirements for the water.
Thanks though

Back
Top Bottom