Guppy problem - pregnancy and death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those guppies do look pregnant, but not heavily. They could still take a few weeks to actually drop fry.
Those hatcheries do not allow for much swimming space and they can tend to stress out the fish. If you choose to use them, only keep the guppy in there for a day or so at a time, not for days on end. Also, I can't tell from the video, but some of those hatcheries don't allow for water exchange with the tank so the ammonia levels can build up pretty fast in there.

I've had numerous guppys die during pregnancy. Sometimes there eggs inside overcrowd their insides and they end up starving. I dissected several of mine that died and saw this first hand.

Guppy problem - pregnancy and death

Hi all

A few days ago I ve placed two pregnant guppys in a hatchery. See video here @ Are my guppies pregnant? - YouTube

This morning I found one of the guppies dead :( - http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2626/dscf0486p.jpg

Any idea whats wrong here?
Stress. Pregnant guppies have a lot of stress already, and being cramped in a very small plastic box doesn't help too much. I recommend growing Java Moss and other bushy plants and let the fry be born in the big tank, to fend for themselves.

Hi all,

Since I ve posted this thread I had a lof of activity going on in my tank, but unfortunately not very nice things happened :( I had two guppies give birth in the breeder box and almost all fry died except for 3 or 4. Now I have this strange problem which I cant get hold of.

See this photo: http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4400/imag0553h.jpg

I ve seen this guppy in her last minutes. Her belly was looking whitish in pink and when she died I noticed that her belly was almost punctured! in fact when I squeezed it a bit, her internals popped out....its the second death in two days :((

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: I found both male and female dead, but the male had no sign of this problem

Hi again,

Since my last post I did a 40% water change, did a kit test and confirmed everything is within normal pH parameters, and still finding dead guppies. This time I am noticing that most of the dead are males. They dont have any sign of trauma or disease. I am suspecting in two factors:

-Could it be that the water is too warm? at the moment its around 29-30 degrees celsius

-Could it be that there is a female majority and therefore they are killing the males? at the moment females are more numerous than males...dont know the exact number though.

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom