guppy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lil inky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new at breeding guppies, and was just wondering if anyone can tell me how far along this lil lady is? That way i can try catch the birthing when it happens and put her fry into my fry/breeder box.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121012_133157.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121012_133157.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 49
  • ForumRunner_20121012_133304.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121012_133304.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 53
The pictures aren't the greatest but she's a lil bigger in person and from what i can see it looks like her birthing canal might be starting to drop. I'm just looking for a second opinion on a time frame because I'm not sure of when she actually became pregnant.

She looks like she is beginning to go square and she looks exactly like one of mine that is ready to drop in about a couple of days to a week so I would say yours will be roughly the same time and good luck with the fry

Guppy Breeding

I'm new at breeding guppies, and was just wondering if anyone can tell me how far along this lil lady is? That way i can try catch the birthing when it happens and put her fry into my fry/breeder box.

Hello lil...

The gravid (dark) spot will become almost black and the female will look for a large area of floating plants. I float a lot of Anacharis and Pennywort in my Guppy tanks. She'll slow her swimming once she finds a suitable hiding place, because swimming will be more difficult because of her size.

If you look carefully, you'll even see tiny, very shiny eyes of the little ones, because the female's skin will be very tight and thin.

I wouldn't recommend moving the female, it's extremely stressful. Just keep her in the main tank and provide a lot of floating plants. Start feeding all the fish a little more and a little more often. I feed almost entirely frozen brine and mysis shrimp, bloodworms and plankton. These are much better than the freeze dried and flaked food.

If you feed the adults well enough, they'll be much less interested in the fry as lunch. You'll have a calm female and a high fry survival rate. The fry will also grow quickly with the nutritious frozen food.

Just a few thoughts.

B

Back
Top Bottom