Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Exclamation Help! Platy just gave birth!

My Red wag platy gave birth and had her in breeders trap and put breeders trap in little weird bucket like a tray filled water with it. Because some of the fry escape so far i have 6 fry birthed got 5 and put in tray momma still in breeders trap. had her in 10g will 4 other platy and 2 guppies. Dont have to many hiding places. also got 29G. She maybe still birthing idk what to need if they neeed to be in a tank with filter and heater! neeedd help!

__________________
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
never mind moving fish in 10g to 29g platys with cichlids make 10g fry tank!
__________________
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 829
Try using the search feature to look through the forums for how to raise platy fry. It comes up very often and you'll find all the info you need
__________________
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 829
Oh and unless your tank stays at 78 or higher without a heater, yes you need a heater. I highly suggest using a seeded sponge filter too. Good luck, platy fry are very easy to raise.
__________________
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
F-8 pufferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
Hi sorry no one replied before you moved em. Platty will have huge births much like there cousins the guppi and swortails, Depending on age of the fish, size of fish, how many batches of fry she has laid out in the past, and the water and food quality provided for and before the birth. If all of these are mature, large, 2 or more, and excelent you could have alot more babies on the way. btw what are you feeding them?
__________________
Happy fish breed. Sad fish die.
F-8 pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-8 pufferman View Post
Hi sorry no one replied before you moved em. Platty will have huge births much like there cousins the guppi and swortails, Depending on age of the fish, size of fish, how many batches of fry she has laid out in the past, and the water and food quality provided for and before the birth. If all of these are mature, large, 2 or more, and excelent you could have alot more babies on the way. btw what are you feeding them?
32 birthed so far! :O put them in 10G and they are just sitting there at bottom and i try to feed them some crushed up fish flakes but they didnt really come up to top. Pretty sure she is still birthing! now 35 . she never got prego before. Fed flakes to her and cleaned tank for new ones.
__________________
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

32 birthed so far! :O put them in 10G and they are just sitting there at bottom and i try to feed them some crushed up fish flakes but they didnt really come up to top. Pretty sure she is still birthing! now 35 . she never got prego before. Fed flakes to her and cleaned tank for new ones.
Like most newborn fish they won't eat until they absorb their yolk sac. Then they will forage and you should feed. Youre just fouling the water if they don't eat. Add some snails or harmless shrimp (be safe and dont use ghost shrimp) as a clean up crew
__________________
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha

Like most newborn fish they won't eat until they absorb their yolk sac. Then they will forage and you should feed. Youre just fouling the water if they don't eat. Add some snails or harmless shrimp (be safe and dont use ghost shrimp) as a clean up crew
When will they absorb yolk sac? When you said shrimp I thought ghost shrimp then you said no but I will get some might tear up plants though. When will she have other batches? Week from now? But nylon over filter so they don't get sucked up.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
F-8 pufferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
should be roughly every month or so. btw do you have any males in your tank? it takes roughly 24 hours for the yolk sac to be absorbed.
__________________
Happy fish breed. Sad fish die.
F-8 pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:20 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-8 pufferman
should be roughly every month or so. btw do you have any males in your tank? it takes roughly 24 hours for the yolk sac to be absorbed.
I put all males and females in 29G mating partner hangs out with the one that just gave birth to 43 fry . All fry in 10G.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie

When will they absorb yolk sac? When you said shrimp I thought ghost shrimp then you said no but I will get some might tear up plants though. When will she have other batches? Week from now? But nylon over filter so they don't get sucked up.
You may want to try googling how to raise platties, to supplement the information you get here. What breeders feed them, how fast they grow under certain conditions... You get better result when you look up how to raise swordtail fry.

I have great success with microworms and decapped brine shrimp eggs. I highly recommend feeding that if you can!

Yes the reason I firmly advise against using ghost shrimp is because they are predatory to small fish such as fry. There are several forum members who have lost fry to ghost shrimp, and I myself have lost adult platties. I do not keep ghost shrimp at all anymore. Plus they are so annoying to breed, neocardinias are much more harmless and pretty and easier to breed

And I'm not sure why you think ghosties will tear up plants. ghost shrimp won't tear up plants, they are far too puny for that. Do you have shrimp that do that? They may not be ghost shrimp at all in that case.

The other responder is correct. My platties drop fry every 4 weeks like clockwork!
__________________
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
F-8 pufferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
Sounds like youve got it all figured out. the 10 gal should be sufficent for quite some time but eventually as they reach maturity you will need to spread them around a bit more 43 fish in a ten gal will be way too much in about two months.
__________________
Happy fish breed. Sad fish die.
F-8 pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha

You may want to try googling how to raise platties, to supplement the information you get here. What breeders feed them, how fast they grow under certain conditions... You get better result when you look up how to raise swordtail fry.

I have great success with microworms and decapped brine shrimp eggs. I highly recommend feeding that if you can!

Yes the reason I firmly advise against using ghost shrimp is because they are predatory to small fish such as fry. There are several forum members who have lost fry to ghost shrimp, and I myself have lost adult platties. I do not keep ghost shrimp at all anymore. Plus they are so annoying to breed, neocardinias are much more harmless and pretty and easier to breed

And I'm not sure why you think ghosties will tear up plants. ghost shrimp won't tear up plants, they are far too puny for that. Do you have shrimp that do that? They may not be ghost shrimp at all in that case.

The other responder is correct. My platties drop fry every 4 weeks like clockwork!
When I said I was going to get some I meant shrimp not ghost kind but don't know what kind. Every 4 weeks for batches? Neocardinais? Wow do you sell your fry or what? I'm feeding crushed up flake food and now crushing up cichlid pellet made of shrimp omega kind.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-8 pufferman
Sounds like youve got it all figured out. the 10 gal should be sufficent for quite some time but eventually as they reach maturity you will need to spread them around a bit more 43 fish in a ten gal will be way too much in about two months.
Thanks how long till they grow up so can't get eaten? All alive so far .
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
Thanks how long till they grow up so can't get eaten? All alive so far .
That depends on how mean your platties are. Mine are .5 inch long at 3 months. They are fast enough to outswim adults, but if the adults really want them they can certainly get them.

I of course don't keep all the fry they have. Keeping them all would be silly.

It will take several months before they can be sold to an lfs, and even then my lfs may not take them. I'll give them away or sell on craigslist.

Ghost shrimp are not the only kind of shrimp appropriate for tanks, and I think they are the ugliest anyway. A lot of people talk about other kinds of shrimp on the forums, you may want to prowl those threads to learn more. Neocardinias include the color morphs of red cherry shrimp. They are super peaceful and very pretty. Jetajockey sells them if you want to buy from him. I have and they are great. Tiger and amano shrimp are also popular.
__________________
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha

That depends on how mean your platties are. Mine are .5 inch long at 3 months. They are fast enough to outswim adults, but if the adults really want them they can certainly get them.

I of course don't keep all the fry they have. Keeping them all would be silly.

It will take several months before they can be sold to an lfs, and even then my lfs may not take them. I'll give them away or sell on craigslist.

Ghost shrimp are not the only kind of shrimp appropriate for tanks, and I think they are the ugliest anyway. A lot of people talk about other kinds of shrimp on the forums, you may want to prowl those threads to learn more. Neocardinias include the color morphs of red cherry shrimp. They are super peaceful and very pretty. Jetajockey sells them if you want to buy from him. I have and they are great. Tiger and amano shrimp are also popular.
I will ask jetajockey about them. How much should I sell them for on Craigslist ? Also feeding them crushed up cichlid pellets and crushed up fish food that okay?
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
I will ask jetajockey about them. How much should I sell them for on Craigslist ? Also feeding them crushed up cichlid pellets and crushed up fish food that okay?
Yeah you can feed them anything like that.
I'm not certain on what the nutrition science is behind what to feed fry, but all of my foods made specifically for livebearer fry are high in protein.
I've had really great results with microworms, so I highly suggest you try growing some.

I will take several months for your platties to get to a sellable size. When you do want to sell them, I wouldn't sell them for more than what the chain stores sell them for. If you were raising really nice ones with interesting markings or fin shape that you don't see in chain stores, then you could sell for more. Since yours are widely available and there was no purposeful breeding for traits, I would sell them for less than $1 because Petsmart in my area sells them for $1.50 on non-sale days. Breeding them at home is more just as a learning experience, you can't expect to make any money off them unless you make an investment first
__________________
gabysapha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysapha

Yeah you can feed them anything like that.
I'm not certain on what the nutrition science is behind what to feed fry, but all of my foods made specifically for livebearer fry are high in protein.
I've had really great results with microworms, so I highly suggest you try growing some.

I will take several months for your platties to get to a sellable size. When you do want to sell them, I wouldn't sell them for more than what the chain stores sell them for. If you were raising really nice ones with interesting markings or fin shape that you don't see in chain stores, then you could sell for more. Since yours are widely available and there was no purposeful breeding for traits, I would sell them for less than $1 because Petsmart in my area sells them for $1.50 on non-sale days. Breeding them at home is more just as a learning experience, you can't expect to make any money off them unless you make an investment first
Thanks! Like the last sentence true!!
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
F-8 pufferman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 25
oh yeah i love to breed my guppy and other tank mates in my large community tank. If breeding is something that intrest you know that most live bearing fish are verry prolific and as such are verry cheap for the lfs to get there hands on. If you want something that brings a little more bang for your buck try egg laying fish there a little more challenging but way more rewarding as well as being able to sell the for a little more in most cases.
__________________
Happy fish breed. Sad fish die.
F-8 pufferman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: US, Ga
Posts: 2,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-8 pufferman
oh yeah i love to breed my guppy and other tank mates in my large community tank. If breeding is something that intrest you know that most live bearing fish are verry prolific and as such are verry cheap for the lfs to get there hands on. If you want something that brings a little more bang for your buck try egg laying fish there a little more challenging but way more rewarding as well as being able to sell the for a little more in most cases.
Once I get bigger tank (1 week or less.) I might try egg layers. What are some easy starter fish for egg layers? I love breeding! Right about livebearers being cheap none that I know of are expensive or close.
__________________
55G-Malawi setup
2 20G long-community (planted)
5G and 10g-Fry
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
birth, platy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peppermint platy gave birth! GodFan Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 14 12-07-2011 02:18 PM
Blue platy pregnant but how can I tell when she'll give birth? Magikalgirl79 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 74 11-16-2011 10:32 PM
Should I move my male platy? aprlshwrs Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 1 11-08-2011 09:10 AM
OMG! My guppy gave birth while i was away! DukeNukem713 Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 8 10-10-2011 08:32 PM
new Molly gave birth FoxRob Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 8 07-04-2011 02:16 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.