Help sexing angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello

I'm trying to breed angelfish but I'm having trouble telling the sex of two angels I have.
Can anybody help me out ?
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408643056.244273.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408643064.315325.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408643074.312767.jpg
Can't get that many pictures as they hide soon as they see the camera? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If they make babies you have a male and a female.. they're pretty difficult to sex otherwise.. you def have a male or a female though ;) Andy style..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well That cleared It up for me lol.
I'm hoping I have make and female or my breeding might be slightly delayed lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Haha yep, delayed indefinitely perhaps.. good luck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Question #1- How old are these fish
Question #2- How large are these fish.

( Question #2 is not as important as #1. If the fish aren't old enough, they won't breed no matter what their gender. ;) )

males sometimes have a bump on the fore head and there pectral fins don't branch
females don't have the bump and there pectral fins branch sometimes
sometimes the fish can't tell the sex it is not unusual for 2 females to breed (no you don't get fry)

here this may help :)

Attachments

• angelfish_gender_w1200.jpg
    angelfish_gender_w1200.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 3,126
here this may help :)

Unfortunately, not all in this diagram is 100% accurate. For example, the split or branched ventral fins is not sexually based. It appears on both males and females or not at all on either. It seems to just be genetically based.
The hump on the male's head again, is not found on all males. In fact, I recently looked at an Angel in a display tank and wanted to try to buy it as I am in need of males and this one had most of the "described" traits common to today's male Angels. When I spoke with the store's owner, he informed me that "while it looks like a male, and even I thought it was a male, it lays eggs about every 10 days". It's the only Angelfish in the tank and the owner has seen her laying so there is no question.
Sexing Angels is an art to say the least and the fish need to be at least 8 - 10 months old before sexing is even better than a 50-50 guess. Personally, I use abdominal regions for sexing so it doesn't matter what the fish looks like. A gravid female always has a rounded belly. Males most usually are the larger of the pair and grow faster than females ( if you raise up siblings). And there are some other tricks as well. :brows: However, if the fish aren't old enough, none of it works yet. It's all just guessing :whistle:

Hope this helps (y)

Thank you for the replies.
I think they may be abit young atm as both are about 1.5" in body size atm.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom