how do you breed fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiShDuDe9

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have my tank for a couple years now. i thought it would be cool to breed fish. what fish would be cool to breed and what do you have to do?

how big do Jack Dempseys or Convict ciclids have to be to breed??

this is such a general question!!! BUT I WILL ANSWER IT! plecostamus would be a cool fish to breed, you have to have a pond with a mud wall so the pleco can burrow into it with its mate. its very dificult.

if you have another tank, get convict cichlids... just add water and they breed

This is a pretty general question but I'll answer from a general standpoint.

First, do you want to breed for the fun of it or do you want to breed to get / raise more fish?

If it's for the fun of it, pick a easy to breed fish and place several in your tank and watch the fun. Read up on that fish to learn the basics. I don't know about Jack Dempsy's but as johnny_zanni said, with convicts, just add water and they will breed.

Now if you want to raise more fish, you have to know what you are going to do with them if you are successful. This is where MTS comes in (Multi-Tank Syndrome). You find you run out of space as most of the time, once breeders start, the produce a lot of babies. :rolleyes:

I checked with my LFS to see what they would buy and that's why I breed angelfish. They gladly buy those from me. I mentioned convicts one day and the manager at the time said they get those for free all the time from people who accidentally breed them.

So there's you basic info. Hope that helps.

Dennis

Sumpn has some good points. If you choose to breed fish intentionally, it will at some point involve another tank at least for fry growout. I had a rack of tanks setup for FW breeding before I really got into the SW thing and corals. The "Community" tank isn't really the place to try to breed fish. You as need to make sure that you have an outlet for the fish as was pointed out. With 2 Dempseys and bass in the tank, any fry that result will simply be eaten. As far as what you CAN breed given the right setup... it's pretty wide open. I've bred Cories, Killifish, Goodeids, BN Plecos, CPDs, etc. It just depends on having the right setups and understanding the fish.

here is a summary of how fish breed

first you need to give the girl fish booze :drinking:
then the boy fish gives the girl fish a kiss :kiss:

now the girl fish is in the mood :hugs:

come to find out the girl fish is into bondage :taped:

when he finds that out he is like :crazyeyes:

oh by the way, the roommates like to watch :key:

so it wasn't too bad but he finished WAY too early and they argue :agrue:

but he doesnt want to hear it so he goes outside and smokes a cigarette :bandit:

he finally cools down and goes back inside and appologizes:sorry:

they make up and :kiss: and go to bed.

the next morning both of their heads are pounding like a train hit them:tgv:

they are both very confused :confused: and desperately need some coffee:morning:

but they didnt use protection and now he is :onfire:

thats how it happens 2 out of 3 times

:
here is a summary of how fish breed

first you need to give the girl fish booze :drinking:
Then the boy fish gives the girl fish a kiss :kiss:

Now the girl fish is in the mood :hugs:

Come to find out the girl fish is into bondage :taped:

When he finds that out he is like :crazyeyes:

Oh by the way, the roommates like to watch

So it wasn't too bad but he finished way too early and they argue :agrue:

But he doesnt want to hear it so he goes outside and smokes a cigarette :bandit:

:clown: LOL

lol. its better than what i was gonna write the first time.
was gonna tell you that i hold the female in my right hand and the male in the left and then bang them together.

honestly the only fish that i've breed succesfully are mollies. they breed faster than rabbits and are very boring but eat some of your algae if you keep them hungry

Back
Top Bottom