how do you spawn your bettas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So.. I think the male may have ate them... Today I don't see anything and he is swimming around the tank more than he has been. I went ahead and took him out and put him in a different tank, just in case there are any left, but I don't see anything at all... and yesterday I saw a few falling and trying to swim a little bit... :(

Look really carefully around the tank. When I had my fry, I almost went blind trying to find them, especially in a bare bottom tank. But they were there.

LyndaB said:
Look really carefully around the tank. When I had my fry, I almost went blind trying to find them, especially in a bare bottom tank. But they were there.

Well the tank is planted and sand substrate so... Hopefully there are some in there somewhere... All I can do is wait and see.

Well in a planted and sand aquarium like yours its almost impossible to easily spot fries when they are swimming freely. Besides, betta fries dont do.much swimming im their early dayes after they are free swimming. The next issue you wil face that the they wont xfind the food u give them easily. For all of the above they advise empty bare bottomed ane small.tank as a spawing tank. If i were you now.i wil.start adding the food u have prepared any way for a few days even if u cant spot any fries. And out most of the food.around the nest if there are any nest left. Amd cheer up, next time they will.spawn. Much easier than the first time. And if yr guy ate his fries, most probably he wont do it next time, may be he is just not experienced enough. If he stil ate his fries next time... He would.give hime. Another one or two chances and thats it. Help.him by putting thebtank in a quite place..... Some time they eat their fries out of fear for them. Good luck

Thanks , I'm have some infusoria cultures started and I was also told since the tank is planted there's most likely infusoria for them to feed on. I also have powdered fry food , and a microworm culture, and was thinking about egg yolk.

I'm not sure I will try to spawn them again. If I do I will use an empty 10 gallon with some floating plants

Good... U were well prepared I see. And my advice if this spawn didnt go well. Wait two weeks and ty again.... This is ofcourse if yr girl.recovered and got her fins in a good shape soon. By the way, did u medicate her tank? They get fin rot easily of their fins have been damaged

I don't really use medications unless absolutely necessary. She was in her own tank for a couple of days and I had just done an 80% water change, so the clean water should be sufficient. She started healing immediately. She is in my 29 gallon community tank right now and doing very well.

So i have been straining my eyes all day staring into this tank. I saw one fry earlier today, and it was free swimming.. it's body was clear with one little white speck and two little black eyes. I almost couldn't see it, so I guess there could be more that I can see, but since then I can't see anything when I am looking at the tank.

If they go down to the substrate, I have malaysian trumpet snails in the sand, would the snails eat the baby fry??

So i have been straining my eyes all day staring into this tank. I saw one fry earlier today, and it was free swimming.. it's body was clear with one little white speck and two little black eyes. I almost couldn't see it, so I guess there could be more that I can see, but since then I can't see anything when I am looking at the tank.

As mentioned above, bare bottom tank is the way to go with fry. Hope the little bugger grows!

Amazing ! Hope your fry survive. I dont anything about Beta breeding sorry cant help. The snails i dont see any threat from them, but i could be wrong

betta spawn

according to what i have read on the third day you should see little tails hanging down and 4 th day you should remove the male and start adding live food and the 5th or 6th day add bbs but thats what i have read have you gone to basement bettas as i suggested you could have seen all this there this lady also has a web page on facebook now she breeds ibc bettas and shows them:hide:

sheilak said:
according to what i have read on the third day you should see little tails hanging down and 4 th day you should remove the male and start adding live food and the 5th or 6th day add bbs but thats what i have read have you gone to basement bettas as i suggested you could have seen all this there thisc lady also has a web page on facebook now she breeds ibc bettas and shows them:hide:

Basement bettas website was not helpful to me at all. Bettatalk.com was extremely helpful and I got some good info off of a betta forum and from reading a ton of articles.

I knew everything you said based on the articles I've read ;) there are lots of suggestions for feeding as well and I added some infusoria last nights and a few drops of egg yolk this morning.

LyndaB said:
As mentioned above, bare bottom tank is the way to go with fry. Hope the little bugger grows!

Yeah I know, but when you use a separate breeding tank you have to worry about frequent water changes because its not cycled and they are so tiny its easy to syphon them out. So I figured this tank was seasoned they should be able to survive and I can transfer them to a bigger tank

Yeah I know, but when you use a separate breeding tank you have to worry about frequent water changes because its not cycled and they are so tiny its easy to syphon them out. So I figured this tank was seasoned they should be able to survive and I can transfer them to a bigger tank
ok so th egood thing u can do is to keep a little spponge filter in yr well established "disease free" aquarium, and just put it there in the bare bottomed tank. Still doing water changes is important, may be of course the frequency would e less in a cycled aquarium, but its is important becasue the little fries, well this is the theory anyway, produce som esort of a hormone that inhibit the growth of other fries, u need to do water change to "dilute" that hormone. if u go on youtube and do search for betta fries, u would see some really strange sizes!!! and the breeders would tell you i do a 50% change/day, put the temperature on 34 degee celsius" u change to ferhanheit:ermm:.
anyway i do have now two "patches" ...one group was less in number and i was ensthusiastic " very good looking dad"...and did very frequent water change...and the second group where am a bit lazy in water change...the difference is very obvious!!!...anyway the second group will catch in a while...i know that from previous experiences.

Yes I do have a well seeded sponge filter :) and I know water changes are very important for growth. I just don't have to worry about it for toxin levels as much ;)

If any fry survive I am going to move them to larger grow out tank. If there aren't that many I can put a few in my 29 gallon, if there are a lot I can fill the 55 gallon in my garage.

good that u have plans...so only thing now that we wait for fries to surface up.....good luck ....
may be i will upload pictures of my 2 month old fries..they have been coloring up for the last 3 weeks...they are delight to the eyes....their father is a good looking "pinkish" crown and their mother ( bluish reddish green crown regular female) passed away "dropsy :( "..they are about 50 now.
my other group is 6 weeks old, still not colored..much more smaller in size..being over crowded ( sorry to say) father is a solid blackish super delta, mother is white with red fins ( I cant categorize her as regarding finnage.. may be a regular delta??? "
if u see the old fries you will feel excited to try again.

Just read this post. I have a gorgeous red male and darker red/ purple female. Both adult. Done everything suggested on net. Female in a trap within his tank now, I've got floating plants, upside down lid, 80 degrees etc etc. make builds tiny bubble nests so I let her out and they get interested in each other but eventually she loses interest as think his nest is so poor. She is fat and showing white tip of her tube. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom