How long for platy fry to reach 1"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Assuming fry are fed high quality foods and space to grow out, how long does it take typically?

a month maybe? cant remember, i just dont think many ppl will be happy to make a stab in the dark here lol.
and "space" can mean anything, a 5 gallon to a 40. obv the bigger means faster growth, the more food means faster growth, the less adults to munch on them the faster growth ha.

Mouth-Brooder-Fanatic said:
a month maybe? cant remember, i just dont think many ppl will be happy to make a stab in the dark here lol.
and "space" can mean anything, a 5 gallon to a 40. obv the bigger means faster growth, the more food means faster growth, the less adults to munch on them the faster growth ha.

Very true.
They are almost 4 weeks old and not an inch yet. Still fry-shaped, and i cant see gonopodiums well.
There are 12 in a 10g tank, fed 5 times a day. They are fat little things! They grow so fast, they look different every day.

Thanks!

u wont see gonopodium differences for a while yet. maybe another 2 weeks

i know fry are adorable!
iv raised platies, they took ages to grow and killed each other off when they hit just over an inch, i remember that much. so i hope u have better luck! x

have they got good colours yet? x

Pictures will be up tonight. They are so darn hard to photograph!

They are much cuter than guppy fry. Chubby little things!

I notice that as they bet bigger they are a little more competitive with each other. I want to be able to sex them asap so that i can separate them! I hope they dont kill each other o_O

Both parents were blue, so they are all pale blue right now. I see the beginning of a moon on their tail, and their dorsal fins are definitely orange. Not sure if that's a trait that will stick with them or not.
I have one fry from a sunburst platy and it is bright BRIGHT orange, they look like little teardrops of fire. It's very shocking.
I saved a couple fry from a yellow twinbar platy and they are pale yellow. I'm so surprised at how colorful these fish are so early in life.

I'm so curious to see the finnage on these babies! The mother (i will put up a pic of her too) is a gigantic, blue mickey mouse high fin with wonderful dashes of black in her fins. i THINK the daddy was a blue wag but i'm not sure. He was at least blue. I hope at least some fry have the great fins of their mom.

FreshwaterTropical said:
I have never seen blue platys before! What is there name?

I think they're just called... Blue platy. Yup. I havent seen them in pet stores often, that's why i got this unique female and kept her fry. She's the prettiest platy I've seen and about about 3" long!

IME, platys were some of my slower growers in relation to other liverbearers. I think it took like 2 months for mine to reach an inch, honestly, it may have even been longer. They had lots of food and space, but they just didn't grow as fast as my mollies or guppies.

gabysapha said:
I think they're just called... Blue platy. Yup. I havent seen them in pet stores often, that's why i got this unique female and kept her fry. She's the prettiest platy I've seen and about about 3" long!

Yeah maybe I might be able to find some blue platys some day!

Me neither, except some variety that is blue with some orange on their tail.

If you happen to live in upstate NY we can arrange for you to have some of my platties haha!

Oh, and by coincidence Big Mama had a few more fry earlier today! She works like clockwork, popping fry every 4 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom