How often do cichlids breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leader of Men

Aquarium Advice Activist
How long would it be from one set of fry to the next for a typical cichlid?

If they very a lot does anyone have a range they could give me or maybe a couple examples?

Thanks!

With most it's around every 2 to 3 weeks. My Apistogrammas and kribs bred every 15 to 20 days.

My mbuna spawn about the same time frame, my geophagus spawn every two weeks. My apistos and rams spawn about once a month. Fish spawn at different times for different reasons.

What would you guys as far as mixing peacocks and apistos in a tank? I realize these are africans mixed with americans, but has anyone done it with success?

If that's a long shot we might try doing apistos in one tank and peacocks in another.

I can get my Apistogramma triple reds to spawn by adding rain water or distial water to the tank. The females will lay eggs ever 2 1/2 weeks when I add the rain water.

Definately pass on mixing apisto's and aulonocara's together. They both have their good sides, you just have to decide which ones you want to keep. Or get two tanks and have one tank for each. :)

I do like the idea of having two cichlid tanks ;)

We'll have a 29 and a 55. The 55 will be the main spot for the breeding. Maybe the 29 can just have the good looking ones of the type not selected to breed. ;)

Oh no better whatch out that's how it first comes on, Then it eats at you and eats at you. Til the only thing that will stop the mind from thanking if I move that over there I can fit another tank on that TV stand. That's the MTS sindrome.

What your saying is the first signs of MTS (spelling not sure M.T.S. Multiple tank sindrome ) I started out the same way. LOL I rold myself " I'll bred them in this tank. Then in the other tank. I'll keep Apistogramms. " Then later on ( about 1 month ) I added 2 more tanks for fry. Then before I knew what happened I had 24 tanks. I'm down to 18 now and hoping to build a multiple tank stand to hold the 250 to 300 4x4 betta holding tanks, I have at any onetime around the house. ( Wife hates that part Mostly when I use her glasses to make up more room. ) So be on the look out for that MTS it bites and bites faster then the speed of light. Only thing to stop it is to buy another tank. But that only slows it down not kill it. Sorry got off topic

Back
Top Bottom