How warm should the fry tank be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jldurfe

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there, I just finished cycling a fry tank, and I know that the water should be warmer than your average community tank. It's just a small 5 gal tank and I only have a 10w heater, but with it on the tank can get up to 95 degrees! Hoping not to cook my fry!! :fish2:

95 is too high for sure. I would go change the heater out for an adjustable 25w.

In general, most babies do best in 78-82* water, but it changes with different species

Ok. Ty was trying to avoid spending a bunch of money but I might not have a choice. The only other concern is that the tank isn't very deep and i don't know if a 25w would be too high

Well it shouldnt be too different to what the adults of whatever fish fry youve got. Infact some fish breed when the water is cooler, not warmer.. What fry are you trying to raise?

Do the heaters youre using not have thermostats to tell you the temp youre setting it to?

I have a question.. I have a 5.5 tank I will be using for fry (not its original purpose I might add...) and the temp is only 70.. I could bring the tank upstairs and hopefully raise it a few degrees. There will be platy fry, and hopefully Gold Barb fry.

I have a question.. I have a 5.5 tank I will be using for fry (not its original purpose I might add...) and the temp is only 70.. I could bring the tank upstairs and hopefully raise it a few degrees. There will be platy fry, and hopefully Gold Barb fry.

I suggest researching the fish and the fry youre raising and water time of year they spawn. This would give a much better indication on how warm you water your water.

I have guppy fry. I used to have 2 small mollys in there that grew to big for that tank so i moved them to the 10 gal tank and decided to make my small tank for fry. I may have molly fry sometime soon too :)

Back
Top Bottom