Hydrogen Peroxide & Egg Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone pls tell me how much hydrogen peroxide to add to a 10 gallon and 20 gallon breeding tank to prevent egg fungus - is it a one time dose or does it need to be repeated? Should it be added immediately after the eggs have been laid. Thanks in advance,

I have not heard of using hydrogen peroxide to prevent fungus on the eggs. I have stuck to using methylelene blue from the lfs and followed the instructions on the package. A little bit goes a long way.

I wouldnt add it to a tank that has a working bio filter and by no means any live fish. It is usually added when you are artificicially hatching in a jar or container floating at the top of the main/grow out tank. When I did it, I used 8 drops from a dropper in a 3 cup jar.-Dont add it directly to the tank.

aquakev said:
I wouldnt add it to a tank that has a working bio filter and by no means any live fish. It is usually added when you are artificicially hatching in a jar or container floating at the top of the main/grow out tank. When I did it, I used 8 drops from a dropper in a 3 cup jar.-Dont add it directly to the tank.

Are we talking about the peroxide or methylene blue? A small amount of peroxide in a tank will not hurt live fish or the bio filter, since it quickly breaks down into water and oxygen. It can be used to raise the oxygen content in the water in emergency situations. Methylene blue will destroy the bacteria in a bio filter. For antifungal use, the MB works very well with eggs. You should still be able to seethe eggs at the right concentration.

Back
Top Bottom