I dont understand my momma swordtail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had her for around a year... her belly is always dark like she is pregnant but she never gets any bigger and ive never seen her squared off.. she has always been in a tank with a male swordtail... other females ive had, have been pregnant, squared off and gave birth to fry.. i just dont understand..

i just joke around and say its because she is the queen of the castle.. she is the largest swordtail i have ever owned. and she is a gentle giant in my tank.. right now she is the largest fish and some of the 1.5inch guppies (male and female) are pestering her, she just turns around and goes face to face with them and they back off .. kind cute..

but can anyone explain to me whats going on.. is she holding, does she have eggs that have never been fertilized by a male, is she unfertilized... i just dont understand.

she looks to be pretty preggo, almost squared out, maybe she has has fry and yopu didnt notice them....

Bubbles0oO said:
she looks to be pretty preggo, almost squared out, maybe she has has fry and yopu didnt notice them....

I agree she looks really prego .. I watch my fish like a hawk and I never seen her square .. I really hope she has some babies soon. I have 2 other fish that are super squared off :)

otherwise she may be infertile. like a male keeps breding with her and all that happens is she stores the sperm, but she dosent have the eggs to put the sperm into, really idk

Back
Top Bottom