I have babies!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieanna

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a pair of female black mollies a couple days ago and I guess I got a few extra! One of them is in the process of giving birth as I write this! So far she's had 3. How many can I expect? She started expelling other matter out of her. Does that mean she's done or can I expect more? She's about 2.5" and she's still pretty fat. Thanks.

Congratulations!! It's surprising how many female live-bearers are pregnant when you get them.

Thanks. Yes, I immediately scooped out the babies and put them in the breeding net. The mother is very animate and is searching for food while the birth is going on, so I thought that I should maybe leave her out of the net. I'm afraid she'll eat the babies. So far there haven't been anymore little ones.

I have bred mollies (they did the hard part actually) and never used a breeding net. I never witnessed any aggression towards the fry by the adults.

If other fish are in the tank, they can eat the fry. If you are wanting to keep the fry, definately use a breeder net. If not, just leave them in the tank. Some will probably survive.

Back
Top Bottom