I want to breed my corydoras...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

base20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have researched this alot but I had a couple of questions. What should the breeding tank be like?(set-up) Does the tank have to be glass? And good things to feed the fry? :DThanks

Well if you researched them at all... you would know those questions lol. If you simply look up the fish profile you will find info on breeding.... anyways here ya go

Set them up with preferably more males than females ( a ratio of 2:1 is good ) in a 18" x 12" x 12" tank with either fine gravel or sand with either sponge filter or a corner filter box with a good current. Install some java moss or wool mops, this gives the females a choice of where to place their eggs but you will probably find that they will mostly lay them on the glass anyway. A temperature in the mid-seventies is good with a p.H around about the neutral (7) mark. Feed a diet of frozen or live food such as bloodworm, whiteworm (sparingly because of the fat content) grindleworm, daphnia and a good quality flake or tablet food. Make a 50% water change, when you notice the female(s) have fattened up, with water that is cooler so as to bring the temperature down. A good idea is to also add a small internal filter to push the water around the aquarium which will also oxygenate it. If successful you can either take the adults out and leave the eggs in the main tank or reverse it and take the eggs out by rolling them of the tank sides with your fingers into a small hatching tank, you can then decide to add a anti-fungus remedy or to leave alone. If you make the wrong choice and the eggs fungus you will get another chance as once Corydoras start to breed the first time they will carry on using the afore-mentioned process. See further information in this ScotCat article An attempt to spawn upon demand?

courtesy of Corydoras paleatus

The trick is the temperature change. Most fish spawn after it rains. My panda cories spawned after a 50% PWC with water that was 5 degrees Fahrenheit cooler than the tank water. I had a school of five or six breeding-sized cories and I've got about ten little panda fry now.

As long as you have one good breeding female and a male willing to chase her around, then all you need is fresh water and plenty of algae wafers. I'm pretty sure the eggs will stick to either glass or plastic. Good luck.

Normally people will leave a piece of slate (upright I think) and the eggs will probably stick to that after. Normally cories are more active when barometric pressure drops (it rains) and/or when colder (not too cold) water is added to the tank.

Cories will generally spawn all over the tank. Most corys do better with extra males, but the saddle nose varieties like fowleri, and black peru are better in pairs as the males will fight for territory and kill each other.

Back
Top Bottom