Is my Platy pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmeredith56880

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I bought a Sunburst Platy about 2 weeks ago and since then she has gotten bigger and bigger. The only males that share a tank with her is a black molly and a dwarf gourami. Can anyone tell if she is pregnant or just fat? lol. Thanks!

George

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 101
Depends how big the grey is ( gravid spot) she looks quite far in pregnacy

If you need advice on fry ask me

I actually have no idea about fry. I need to run out and get a breeder. I have a spare 10 gallon tank but it isn't set up or anything, I'd have to buy a heater and filter for it and the wife is already pissy about the money I've spent in the 55 gallon. I have a fish bowl too with a little bit of java moss in it and a snail. I'm not sure what to do about the fry

I would get a breeder temporarily while you are cycling the bowl or ten gal

Im currently setting up another tank for my fry

To make the cycle faster fill it with the water from your old tank and add a bacteria treatment

It's important to add live plants to the tank for fry

They will need feeding the tiniest pinch of either baby food or tiny, crunched up adult food three to two time a day

Feel free to ask any more questions

I actually have no idea about fry. I need to run out and get a breeder. I have a spare 10 gallon tank but it isn't set up or anything, I'd have to buy a heater and filter for it and the wife is already pissy about the money I've spent in the 55 gallon. I have a fish bowl too with a little bit of java moss in it and a snail. I'm not sure what to do about the fry

What I do for baby shrimp would also work with fry I bet.
Since you have a 55 gallon tank, get one or two of the biggest kritter keepers (or equivalent) fill them up a couple inches from the top and just float them in the tank. I put a bunch of plant clippings in mine, just floating. That way they can have some cover and play in the plants, and it also keeps the water a little cleaner. I would change 25-50% of the water every day or so. This way you don't need a filter/heater, it's cheap, and it doesn't take any extra space. If you wanted to, you could make a couple sponge filters, but if you keep up with pwc, I don't think you would need one.

Good Luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom