Is this a male or female German Blue Ram?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Orcus332

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought 2 of these guys (fishkeeper said they were male and female), but one has died, so I need to pick up another one. Any idea what sex this one is? If this picture isnt good enough, let me know and I'll take some more.
Thanks!

Attachments

• gbr1_616.jpg
    gbr1_616.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 585
To be honest they pic isn't the greatest and it would be easier if you were to post more of them. Profile shots would be ideal.

Judging by the picture above it looks as if the fish is young, which will make it harder to sex accurately. The pelvic fins are short but I believe that they look like a male's. I see no pink on the fish, which would also indicate a male or a female that hasn't colored up yet (you can barely see the black spot starting to show) due to being so young. The front dorsal portion where it is black says female or young male (if male they will get larger). Any idea on how old the fish is?

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I don't know how old the fish is. FWIW, he's about 2" from mouth to base of caudal fin. It's very difficult for me to get a good picture of him in all his colors though. Usually he has a very nice dark black spot on his side, but when I bring the camera close to the glass, he immediately fades in color to a pale/yellow color all over!

Attachments

• gbr2_322.jpg
    gbr2_322.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 316
Orcus332 said:
Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately I don't know how old the fish is. FWIW, he's about 2" from mouth to base of caudal fin. It's very difficult for me to get a good picture of him in all his colors though. Usually he has a very nice dark black spot on his side, but when I bring the camera close to the glass, he immediately fades in color to a pale/yellow color all over!
2 inches long? that is a huge GBR :?
based on new pic i still say male

It's very difficult for me to get a good picture of him in all his colors though.

Hrrmppph...I've been taking pics of my rams for two years and have yet to get one as good as that one. :) I'm sticking with my earlier assessment...male.

I doubt that fish is over 1.5 inches. Mine are about a little over 2 to 2.5 inches (haven't actually measured). This is what mine look like (the rest are pretty much the same):

You can see that the females are a little smaller and take on a slightly different shape.

Attachments

• picture_031_153.jpg
    picture_031_153.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 345
  • picture_032_599.jpg
    picture_032_599.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 395
Back
Top Bottom