Large bubble nest for female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pattyfurg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think this is an unusually large bubble nest size for a female betta... I will put pictures up if needed but im sure she's a girl... :/ hmm this is her first big bubble nest so I'm not quite sure what's happening lol

Attachments

• image-3027359599.jpg
    image-3027359599.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 68
Females don't generally make bubble nests. That's the male's job. Can you post pictures of the betta? If it has long fins and colorful body, its male.

Bettababe1011 said:
Females don't generally make bubble nests. That's the male's job. Can you post pictures of the betta? If it has long fins and colorful body, its male.

Lol I know I was almost positive she's a girl coz she has ugly fins but then again bright metallic colours.
Iv heard that they make small ones when they're happy but this is huge!

It's really hard to get a good picture of her!

Attachments

• image-3120028914.jpg
    image-3120028914.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66
Its a bit hard to tell from that picture. I have heard more than once that only males make nests and if there is an actual bubble nest, then its a male. The fins are not always indicative of gender. I have read a few times that body shape and the presence of bubble nests is the best way to tell the genders apart. But, if you have read that females sometimes build them, then I don't know what to tell you. :)

Bettababe1011 said:
I think its a plakat male. They have short fins, and are often mistaken as females.

I did have a plakat male with them for a while but he drowned 0.0
Lol she looks much different to that :/
Also from top view she has the body if a female but no opivisor.

absolutangel04 said:
Its a bit hard to tell from that picture. I have heard more than once that only males make nests and if there is an actual bubble nest, then its a male. The fins are not always indicative of gender. I have read a few times that body shape and the presence of bubble nests is the best way to tell the genders apart. But, if you have read that females sometimes build them, then I don't know what to tell you. :)

Yeah some websites say yes some say no haha but iv had a 100% female for a while and she only builds tini bubble nests lol
But the fact she doesn't have an opivisor or I havnt seen it for the 4 months iv had her is strange too

pattyfurg said:
I did have a plakat male with them for a while but he drowned 0.0
Lol she looks much different to that :/
Also from top view she has the body if a female but no opivisor.

I say its male. The bubblenest, colors, and no opivisor makes me think that. I still say plakat male. It matches exactly what pictures I've seen of them.

Ok some more photos :/
I could swear she's a female >:/

Attachments

• image-2393893910.jpg
    image-2393893910.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image-4145436625.jpg
    image-4145436625.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 68
Its hard for me to tell. It has the chubbiness of a female, but it seems to be elongated like a male. You know more about it than me since you have females who build bubblenests and I didn't think it was possible. Lol.
I have also read that males have more of a "beard" sticking out from behind the gill covers than a female does.

absolutangel04 said:
Its hard for me to tell. It has the chubbiness of a female, but it seems to be elongated like a male. You know more about it than me since you have females who build bubblenests and I didn't think it was possible. Lol.
I have also read that males have more of a "beard" sticking out from behind the gill covers than a female does.

There is a Tini little bit but when she flares its like how a girl flared lol she also gets happy lines and stress lines but my males have never gotten then :/
Such a mystery =.=

Can a betta be a hermafrodite(sp?)? Or depending on where she came from, I read that some fish farms put hormones in the food for bright coloring, and maybe it had this effect on her.

Haha its crossed my mind!
Especially with my plakat that drowned lol
I called it tranny ^.^

I had a female before that created a huge bubble nest (similar in size to yours). She confused me pretty bad. I guess they are just strong, independant females that don't need a man to do it for them <3 haha

absolutangel04 said:
I have never seen a male get stress lines before. That does seem to indicate female. What a puzzle!

Iv only seen it once and it was when a dumbass child decided to grab it by the tail and push it back and forward! I got sooooooooo angry I grabbed her by the shoulders and started pushing her back and forward viciously... I got in trouble :/

TheCrazyFishLady said:
I had a female before that created a huge bubble nest (similar in size to yours). She confused me pretty bad. I guess they are just strong, independant females that don't need a man to do it for them <3 haha

Haha I like it :D
She doesn't have a name though haha

Back
Top Bottom