Might Sound Retarded But Need Help In Breeding Guppies...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhqwhgads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello...and yes I know it might sound really stupid to ask such a question (because I hear it's no difficult task) but I'm not trying to breed those fancy show guppies that people usually are proud of. My guppies are regular feeder guppies and well I just need more feeder guppies. (Sorry I know it's cruel and most wound not agree to it.) I have several questions. As far as the common feeder guppies go...how old (or average size) should they be before they'll mate? I do question how old they are, hmm...about an half an inch to an inch in length, most of em. Right now all the one's that I do have (which is about 200 living in two 5 Gal. buckets) look all the same. I don't know if they're supposed to have a more impressive tail if male, or I don't know how to sex them but the odds are that there's more than enough of each sex for them to be getting it on. How can I tell what is what? I can't distinguise if some are pregnant or not either. If anyone knows of any good site that might give me some direction I would appreciate it. I was thinking of purchasing another 10 Gal. tank to try and seclude some and mate them, think that will work :?:

The males have a tiny bit of color on them compared to the females. The males will also be smaller and will have the "gonopodium" instead of a triangular anal fin.

200 in two 5 gallon buckets might be tough for any fry to survive for very long. Definitely separate out a few to a 10 gallon. 6-8 females and 2 males should be nice numbers. Give them a few weeks and you should start noticing pregnant guppies.

1 inch long should be big enough to reproduce.

Males have longer flag like tails. Females get considerably fatter when they are pregnant.

Thank you :D After closely inspecting some guppys in the buckets (pulling a bunch out with a net and taking a closer look at them) I've noticed that alot (and I mean a whole bunch) of females could possibly be pregnant...or are in the earlier stage of pregnancy. They're fat, but not significantly big. They all have that gravid spot. How big are the fry when they pop out?

Back
Top Bottom