Mollies Breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spittinfly

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know if this is a really stupid question. :oops:

If my one Molly (preg. from lfs) has fry and they grow to maturity would they spawn with each other or do I need other non family fish? I guess I'm curious if fish are "harmed" with inbreeding, and how I would prevent it in-case.

No incest taboo in the aquarium! They surely will breed with one another when they reach maturity.

Inbreeding is one classic way that breeders will use to reinforce a desirable characteristic, seeking to reinforce a trait. There is more of a chance of genetic problems being reinforced as well, leading to nonviable or nonfertile offspring. Breeders are usually pretty ruthless about weeding out and destroying any offspring that show any undesirable traits.

You can if you wish separate the males and females once they are distinguishable; other than that, nature will take its course.

Dan summed it up pretty well. Mollys will not care if they are related or not and they do not care about color. Adding new stock occasionally will keep the fish healthier. Be sure you have store or something that will take them before you really get to breeding them.

Back
Top Bottom