Newyears spawning bonanza

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bad Jeff

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't know if it has anything to do with the cold weather here right now but the new year started off with my bronze cory's laying about 200 eggs (found at 4am new years day-90+% hatched this morning) and my dwarf frogs are doing their thing right now. (looks like about 50 eggs sofar). What a fun way to ring in the new year!

Wow! Are they in the same tank! The tank of loooooove!

Congrats! Let's see some pictures!

Bad Jeff said:
I don't know if it has anything to do with the cold weather here right now but the new year started off with my bronze cory's laying about 200 eggs (found at 4am new years day-90+% hatched this morning) - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Hi Bad Jeff. I do believe the weather has a definite effect on Cory breeding. I rarely get spawnings between May and November. In December they all go nuts. Have had about 300 eggs from my C. aeneus Gold Shoulder and about 100 from my C. potaroensis in the past few days. The albino Corys are breeding in every tank and eating the eggs before I can get to them and the C. paleatus are doing the same. I can't keep up. Now if I can just get my albino C. sterbai to get rockin' I'd be thrilled. I found out today from Coryman that I should put them up to 80-82 degrees, so the 70 degree water is not assisting them at all to get "in the mood." :) Congrats on your spawning. I'm hoping to wake up tomorrow to a few hundred wigglers. - Frank/Guppyman®

If you added large marbles to the tank to add as substrate (the idea is to have the eggs fall inbetween and out of reach for the cories), would that help with the egg eating that you talked about?

Oh.. but then again you collect them and count them, right?

Marbles

Hi. Nice concept, but unworkable. All my Corys except the C. sarareensis lay their clutches very high on the sides of the glass. Never on the bottom of the tank. Marbles ARE a way to save fry, but only if the eggs don't get eaten first. I'm only concerned about saving the rarer species at the moment. Probably have 1000 albino aeneus and 500 peppered paleatus at the moment. Don't feel like feeding anymore of those than I have to. :) - Frank/Guppyman®

What a way to start the new year! Here's a brief summary.
1. I can't seem to figure out how to upload a picture :(
2. In one of my 10 gals, Bronze cory's galore. Must be around 200. Hatched and swimming now.
3. In my 70gal Albino Cory's are still ringing in the new year. (so far 40'ish eggs)
4. In an other 10gal my ADF left about 60??eggs... really hard to find those little buggers on white and black sand.
5. My Gouramis (not sure what kind and this started this morning) were acting frisky... so in lieu of what everyone else seemed to be doing I set him up in a 10 gal (planted) with his mate and he has been setting up a bubble nest all morning.

And last a quick question. Of all the hatched cory eggs, 1/2 seem to have used up their yolk sac and the other half look about twice as huge as when they hatched, but their yolk sacs are bigger and perfectly clear? I use lots of aeration (4 stones+2 sponge filters)...could this be affecting them.

I forgot to mention.... It seems that all the "skinny" ones are huddled together hiding in small clay pots and all the "chubby" ones are out in the open or along the glass. 0X

Every time a front comes in and the pressure drops, my mollies and sword tails deliver like crazy.

Yolk Sacs

Bad Jeff said:
And last a quick question. Of all the hatched cory eggs, 1/2 seem to have used up their yolk sac and the other half look about twice as huge as when they hatched, but their yolk sacs are bigger and perfectly clear? I use lots of aeration (4 stones+2 sponge filters)...could this be affecting them. - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Hi. In my experience all of my fry that had the enlarged clear yolk sacs - never survived. Not one. I hope yours do not share the same fate. You don't want a current strong enough that the fry use 100% of their energy just trying to stay in one place. I'd lose 3 of the stones and lower the 4th for a few days. YMMV. - Frank/Guppyman®

Hrm, Maybe even I'll get eggs!

Cause my Albino Corries were being VERY frisky last time I checked

Back
Top Bottom