Platys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rose22

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a few platy in my 30 gallon tank. There is 1 male and 3 females. The male is what I would call a blue wag. His whole body is blue, but all his fins are black like a red wag. One of the female looks exactly like him. The second female is a bumblebee platy. She is all yellow, but has a black spackled mask across her face. My final female is a sunburst platy. Her color extends all the way to her fins. The fins are not black. Here is some stuff I have noticed, and am just wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

The male CONSTANTLY goes after the blue female, and she is completely shutting him down. She will take off when he gets just about close enough to get her. I keep watching them thinking, maybe this time, but no. Anyway, when she takes off, she never goes far enough a way that he can't find her. If he doesn't follow her, she will actually come back to where he is and swim around him until he chases her. This has been going on for WEEKS. I'm exhausted just watching them. Part of me is like "Honey, just do it so the two of you can rest!" :lol: Any idea what's going on here?

At the same time, the male shows no interest what-so-ever in the other 2 females. The sunburst is a little small and may not be mature yet, but the bumblebee is for sure. She had babies her second day in the tank. Do you think the lack of interest is because he is so focused on the blue female, or is it just the colors of these females are so different from his own he just isnt interested?

Thanks.

My male red wag platy is the same way! I have a panda, red wag, and bumblebee females in with him, but he only likes the panda for some reason. She's already had a batch of fries, so i would be on the lookout for her tummy to start getting bigger :) he harassed her for weeks, even until she was already pregnant! Sounds like some possible babies are on the way to me.

My male red wag platy is the same way! I have a panda, red wag, and bumblebee females in with him, but he only likes the panda for some reason. She's already had a batch of fries, so i would be on the lookout for her tummy to start getting bigger :) he harassed her for weeks, even until she was already pregnant! Sounds like some possible babies are on the way to me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this. I have 3 different platys in my smaller tank. All are dawn platys, 1 male 2 females. He had both of them taken care of within like a week. Both females are starting to get a nice little belly on them.

How long have you had them.

The blue pair and 2 of the dawn platy (male and 1 female) I've had for around 3 months. They were originally in the same tank, but the blue male would bully the dawn male, so I split them. The bumblebee, sunburst, and dawn I've only had around a month.

The blue pair and 2 of the dawn platy (male and 1 female) I've had for around 3 months. They were originally in the same tank, but the blue male would bully the dawn male, so I split them. The bumblebee, sunburst, and dawn I've only had around a month.

Hmm that's interesting. Usually they will do that mostly because it takes them 2 months to settle into a tank. But if its been longer than that then I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom