Preggers Platys in labor??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Im going to be a fish momma!! Hope all goes well and that mommy and fry do fine. If she hasnt dropped fry yet would it be to stressful for me to do a quick PWC?? Just want to ensure everything is in top condition before fry arrive.

No problem with the pwc. It might make her drop sooner! It's great to see someone so happy and excited about babies. There is a lot of us at AA.

I did the pwc and a small gravel vac to suck up any debri. Tank looks good, now waiting is the hard part. :) There is plenty of ornaments and plants to hide in so fry should be ok.
Ill let you know when she has em and what they look like Zagz. I could just pop myself with excitement. Oh Joy!!!

I can tell you are excited. I gather this is the first fry you are expecting? I remember my first batch of fry. I sat and stared at the poor fish for hours! I'm excited for you.

Haha when my first batch of fry came around (3 unexpected little guys) I was going nuts! I still get really excited when they have them...I even got to see one actually giving birth! Gotta love nature!

Good luck and congrats!! I'm awaiting my 3rd batch of fry, probably will be here in a week or so. I have 5 from one batch and 20 or so from my 2nd batch and I have to tell you, it's like having your own babies, alot less work, all the reward though! I have a thread on what to watch for, it's pretty good to look at if I must say so myself. You should have a look at the hints I found just before my platy dropped.

Shes doing the squaring off and her gravid spot is right next to her anal vent but she just has not dropped yet. Hope shes ok. Is this normal for them being a first time mother to hold the fry so long? Hope she isnt bound up and fry are stuck. Breathing rapidly in intervals is what shes doing. I wonder if they have contractions as humans do. Oh well still waiting all. Hope I get some lil beauties soon. If there is any other advice you can give me please let me know :) :)

Thanks a lot all!!!

My first mollies did the same thing as your platy. As a matter of fact I think that is one of the reasons I first came to AA for advice on my fish about to have babies. Just give her some time and keep your eye on her. She can hold onto the fry for a while if she wants to, it's a killer but you have no choice but to be patient.

Thanks Zagz. She is hiding alot now so hopefully sooon. I can't wait but I knoow I will have to. :) Patience is a virtue. I need moreof it though when it involves something like this!! LOL I'll keep ya updated. You can guarantee I'll be flying on here to tell ya all as soon as I see the first fry arrive. :) Ta Ta for now and thanks!!!

anything yet? we delivered yesterday! I don't think we had to many this time maybe 5-10.

She may have had them. Are there any places they can hide? They are quite small and can be difficult to see if you have a lot of hiding places.

Just the plants and a cave and pagoda ornament to hide innn but I have just done tankcleaning and pwc and didnt see any at all. My platys had babys once beforee when they were suffering from a nematode infestation. The babys sadly died due to this. So I know what they look like and what to look for. I was just so excited thinking I was going to get some live babys out of it this time. I'll keep watching her and see if her appearance stays the same or changes, thats all I can do right now. :(

Don't give up. If she was that big then the babies could be really small. My sword ussually has large fry. The last batch she had the babies were so small all you could see was the eye dots in the gravel and under the PVC pipe.

She is ready to pop again but I have her in a modified breeder net to catch the babies. Won't have too use them once I get my tank planted and growing like I want. Will be so many places for them to hide I won't see then unless they swim right against the front ot the tank.

Be patient, you could be pleasantly surprised when you begin to see them here and there darting out from their hiding places.

I hope you have the best of luck. If you can, get a breeder for the next batch. They work really well. Get 2 of the net breeders, like this one and modify it like the same. It is really easy and makes a much better breeder than the V traps because it is a lot bigger.

Back
Top Bottom