Preggo Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonChild

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I know that this is the sick fish forum, but I couldn't find any others for this thread. I apologize in advance for the poor image quality, the camera is NOT nice to me.

Okay, I had 3 platys about a month ago, two died. I didn't think much of it, until I realized today that my remaining platy is FAT. I'm not sure if it's fat or preggo, so I figured I'd ask on here. I'm having a hard time finding anything that could tell me.

Here are the pictures I did manage to get to a decent image size.

img_206941_0_03ffd3a84d8e3e294caed3c58348fcea.jpg

img_206941_1_be98931562850f4dcf56b951f081c4ac.jpg

img_206941_2_6d804f97b66a9cd254c78c22518720b7.jpg

img_206941_3_7d9d1352bc8a43e7df1ef965ed208976.jpg

Can you give me any advice? If she is preggo, what should I do? She (I'm used to calling it a him) nibbled at the food today, but didn't attack it with gusto.

TIA for any and all help!!

It's really hard to tell the sex from here, but it looked just like my platy. She's may be pregnant, and / or bloated.
If the 2 platies that died were male, that she might have been impregnated, and storing the sperms until now. If you see a dark black streak in her lower abdomen, and if her belly are dark, then yes, she is carrying babies. The dark spots will be the eyes of the babies. In this case you just leave her as she is, or get a separate tank / net if you want to keep the baby.

If you didnt see any black spots and she's just bloated, then it's a sign of overfeeding, but you said she's not eating? It may be sign of parasite? I am no expert at medicating fish. I'm sure others will help you in this case.

She has a dark spot on her belly, and is rather distended, I don't think she's just overfed. I feed her about 2-3 times a week, just a few flakes.

I got a little isolation thingie for her, she really doesn't like it, since it's so small. About how long is the gestation for platys, and when can I expect the fry to be born? My mom's getting antsy.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom