Preggo Platy Died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katiekatt82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Fellow Fish Enthusiasts,

I'm in need of an educated opinion regarding my Preggo Platy that just died. Over a year ago I purchased 2 female (Calico/marbled) Platys and 2 (Golddust) Mollies; 1 female & 1 Male. The female gold dust is constantly pregnant and delivers fry every month like clockwork.
Well, 1 month ago I noticed one of the female Platys was pregnant and the daddy could only have been the 1 Male Mollie in the tank. The entire month everything looked like it was going well. I could even see the little baby fry eyes as she was getting close to delivery. She was healthy and just a couple days ago began to show classic signs of getting ready to deliver. Unfortunately, early yesterday morning I found her laying dead on the substrate. My guess is that she died due to pregnancy. Is it possible she died due to mating with another species (mollie)?

Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry for the loss I think of a couple variables such as age, stress. The male may have been a contributing factor possibly harassing the female Molly.

Back
Top Bottom