Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-11-2020, 03:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Pregnant ghost shrimp has eggs do I need a male if she already has eggs?

Hello,

I have a pregnant ghost shrimp do I need a male if she already has eggs if so how to I tell if the ghost shrimp are male and females at the fish store?

What temperature does the shrimp tank need to be at?

Old 10-11-2020, 10:13 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Tbh I don't know how to sex Ghost Shrimp. If the female is already carrying eggs a male is not needed.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomesHome View Post
Hello,

I have a pregnant ghost shrimp do I need a male if she already has eggs if so how to I tell if the ghost shrimp are male and females at the fish store?

What temperature does the shrimp tank need to be at?

As long as you have the tank in the normal range for tropical fish (76-82 on average) Iíd say youíre fine there. As far as telling male and female apart. It all has to do with body shape. Males will be more slender and often times are smaller than females. Females on the other hand are larger and have more rounded abdomens. The easiest way to tell a female is if she is bearing (or pregnant) as she will have green eggs in her abdominal cavity. Additionally, a bearing female already has had the eggs fertilized so no male is required once she has eggs. If you have any more questions about raising the fry then Iíd be more than happy to help.
Old 12-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #4

I had a female that had eggs, I was learning about the feeding of the shrimps and one of my female shrimps had the fry they were swimming around in the tank and from my over feeding the shrimp fry died. The female that I had died as well. I have had 2 males alive in there for 3 weeks now and looking good so I am waiting on the pet store to get more female shrimps. I am hoping to have a shrimp tank with a lot of shrimps that multiply. When I get that going I would like to have a lots of different color shrimps in that tank breeding and multiplying.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomesHome View Post
I had a female that had eggs, I was learning about the feeding of the shrimps and one of my female shrimps had the fry they were swimming around in the tank and from my over feeding the shrimp fry died. The female that I had died as well. I have had 2 males alive in there for 3 weeks now and looking good so I am waiting on the pet store to get more female shrimps. I am hoping to have a shrimp tank with a lot of shrimps that multiply. When I get that going I would like to have a lots of different color shrimps in that tank breeding and multiplying.

Shrimp tanks are very fun and very rewarding! I have one myself right now and I am in the process of setting up a second one. I donít know how much you have looked up already, but hereís my take and advice. Make sure to have plenty of live plants and places to hide for the shrimp. (Java moss is a particular favorite of theirs). Additionally, itís important to have some kind of sponge covering your filter or to have a sponge filter as baby shrimp can easily be sucked into normal filters. Also, Iíve noticed that sometimes, ghost shrimp use their size as an advantage over the smaller Neocaridina shrimps (the colorful shrimp). So maybe once you successfully breed the ghost shrimp or decide that you are more comfortable with shrimp to get the colorful ones like cherry shrimp, consider bringing your ghost shrimp into a store so you donít mix them. Also, since you said you had problems with feeding them and possibly over fed them, live plants also help with that by providing both a source of food and a way to make excess food cause fewer problems. If you have any specific questions, Iíd love to answer them. As you can tell I really enjoy talking about shrimp.
Old 12-06-2020, 01:19 AM   #6

Haha! Alright thank you! I am liking learning about the shrimps!

Tags
egg, eggs, ghost, ghost shrimp, male, pregnant, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com