pregnant golden barb question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to hijack the thread, but my female tiger barbs look FAT, which I assume means theyve got eggs. How do I induce spawning?

Would I have to have a tank I can move them into in order to keep the eggs from being eaten, or would a little plastic 'breeding cup' work (like that hangs on the rim of the aquarium.)

I checked the link posted above (obviously looked at the tiger section) and it only says that theyre 'typical egg scatterers'

I saw a couple of the barbs (not sure which sexes) swimming really quickly in a tight circle, nose to tail, like dogs who get excited to meet each other, but really fast. Not sure if that means anything..

Thanks for any info.

I think what azn dreamer trying to say is, barbs don't get pregnant. Your barbs are probably just over fed / constipated.

I saw a couple of the barbs (not sure which sexes) swimming really quickly in a tight circle, nose to tail, like dogs who get excited to meet each other, but really fast. Not sure if that means anything..

Hmm if they're both male than maybe they're in the middle of fighting. I saw 2 of my male platies do this sometimes.

I know that barbs dont get pregnant. The females produce eggs (making them fat), and then they lay the eggs so the male can fertilize them.

I just wanna know how to persuade them to lay and fertilize, and will a little bucket like the fish stores use to put your fish in before they go in the bag work for spawning?

I don't think they will spawn in a small container. They will look for a suitable area to scatter eggs. They will also devour their own eggs if given the chance. You could put them in a tank with moss, small stones or marbles in the bottom to catch the eggs. The parents should be removed and the fry raised in the spawning tank. Barbs usually spawn in the morning as the light increases. A rich diet with lots of protein puts them in spawning condition. Here is a link with more info than you want to know http://library.kcc.hawaii.edu/external/ctsa/publications/tiger.html Good luck!

LiveSquid said:
Not to hijack the thread, but my female tiger barbs look FAT, which I assume means theyve got eggs. How do I induce spawning?

Would I have to have a tank I can move them into in order to keep the eggs from being eaten, or would a little plastic 'breeding cup' work (like that hangs on the rim of the aquarium.)

I checked the link posted above (obviously looked at the tiger section) and it only says that theyre 'typical egg scatterers'

Thanks for any info.

I have read the swimming in a tight circle and bumping each other is part of a spawning ritual...They may have spawned and may have ate their eggs before you even looked at the tank.

Back
Top Bottom