Pregnant Guppy Seperation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nanaki989

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I saw several posts about pregnant guppies, I know she is pregnant how far along I have no clue. Like many in here first guppies i've owned. My issue isn't fear of the babies getting eaten its fear of my male guppy killing my female guppy. I have a 5 gallon tank pretty heavily planted so lots of fry hiding spots. My male guppy keeps nipping at my females underbelly, ALOT. He constantly pesters her so I moved him to a 35 gallon for the time being. My fear is that they will both die of loneliness without other guppies. the 35 gallon has 3 Black Skirt Tetra so far. The poor guy is just hanging out in the corner all scared. Please help!

This "stomach nipping" behavior is normal between guppies, sometimes a male chooses a favorite female and pesters her. Do you only have the male and female guppies? Normally the ratio is 1 male to every 2 or 3 females. I
if you only have the 2 guppies I would recommend more, but not in the 5g you have.

Ive only got the 2, the LFS guy says 1 small fish per gallon is a good rule of thumb. you think 2 females and 1 male is too much for a 5g? I guess i can put them in the 35g and make this a beta tank or a fry tank. Ive seen people raise guppies in Mason Jars for breeding figured this was alot better.

Ive only got the 2, the LFS guy says 1 small fish per gallon is a good rule of thumb. you think 2 females and 1 male is too much for a 5g? I guess i can put them in the 35g and make this a beta tank or a fry tank. Ive seen people raise guppies in Mason Jars for breeding figured this was alot better.
I would keep the female in the 5g for now and when the fry are born just move her into the 35g. You could then add another 2 females(ratio 1m/3f) to the 35g. Raise the fry in the 5g and then when she's ready to pop again, get a breeding trap with grill slots on the bottom for the 5g and the new fry will release into the tank. Just repeat this routine as needed....

I would keep the female in the 5g for now and when the fry are born just move her into the 35g. You could then add another 2 females(ratio 1m/3f) to the 35g. Raise the fry in the 5g and then when she's ready to pop again, get a breeding trap with grill slots on the bottom for the 5g and the new fry will release into the tank. Just repeat this routine as needed....

+1
beat me to it lol:lol:

Thank you! If she does not pop for a couple of days should I put the male back in the 5, I really don't want to move them around much, I keep the tanks at the same Temp and the parameters are both good. I just got the 35 gallon up and running and the only other fishes in it are the 3 Black Skirt Tetras so its very sparsely populated. But I would hate to lose both fish to loneliness as i've read fish are known to do this. I just wanna do right by my fishes.

Thank you! If she does not pop for a couple of days should I put the male back in the 5, I really don't want to move them around much, I keep the tanks at the same Temp and the parameters are both good. I just got the 35 gallon up and running and the only other fishes in it are the 3 Black Skirt Tetras so its very sparsely populated. But I would hate to lose both fish to loneliness as i've read fish are known to do this. I just wanna do right by my fishes.
Is the 35 cycled??

Is the 35 cycled??
Yes I added the HOB filter to my Cycled 5 gallon to get a good culture going before I set up the 35, I put in the 35 the Walstad style, and did the amonia test before introducing any plants, Currently ive got a few bunches of plants floating around up top and DHG planted in the substrate, and Java moss going on the back. It went a total of 1 month before Fish ever saw the tank :). The only reason the Tetras are in there at all is because a coworker wanted to flush them. I really wanted to do a small school of Cardinal Tetras. Either way the guppies threw a wrench in the works.
Like I said all water parameters are good. Got some tannin issues in the 35g though. Which ive heard is common with the substrate I chose.

No, leave him where he is. He'll only stress her more. She'll be glad of the break from him!!. Stress is more likely to kill her, the fry or both. Go with it as it is now. Trust me, you'll be fine!!!..You'd be better off getting two more females for him to play with while mama's in the labour-ward...haha. The more you mess with it, the more stress you'll cause. YOU could end up killing her, not the randy guppy.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

No, leave him where he is. He'll only stress her more. She'll be glad of the break from him!!. Stress is more likely to kill her, the fry or both. Go with it as it is now. Trust me, you'll be fine!!!..You'd be better off getting two more females for him to play with while mama's in the labour-ward...haha. The more you mess with it, the more stress you'll cause. YOU could end up killing her, not the randy guppy.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You can't fault the guy! He is what I would consider a Teenager, he just barely got his tail and full coloring.

You can't fault the guy! He is what I would consider a Teenager, he just barely got his tail and full coloring.

Update: Female guppy gravid spot turned pink/light this morning when I went to check on her and feed her.

Any sign of fry or does she look and smaller???

She doesn't look smaller but I only have a few minutes this morning to take a look. Running late to work, haha. She may have started dropping fry. I didn't see any of them but there is a really thick corner of Vegetation in my tank they may be in there. I will update tonight if she did drop a batch.

6 baby guppies in aquarium when i got off work. She was a small momma so maybe she didn't eat to many. Who knows? Swapped her to the 35, will begin stocking this upcoming week.

6 baby guppies in aquarium when i got off work. She was a small momma so maybe she didn't eat to many. Who knows? Swapped her to the 35, will begin stocking this upcoming week.

Congrats. Mine are nearly 2wks now and they are growing by the day. This is the first batch i've used Hikari First Bites fry food, i have noticed the difference. I would recommend it...Good luck with the Fry...Ian

Back
Top Bottom