Prego guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Khij159753

Aquarium Advice Addict
My girlfriend got me a 2 gallon tank set up with 4 guppies about a week ago. 2 male 2 female. I'm pretty sure both the females are pregnant but how can I be positive? And how do I know when to expect the babies and how to keep them safe and raise them?

I don't want to be rude but a 2 gallon tank is too small for 4 guppies. The correct ratio would be one male to 2 females. Guppies give birth at least every four weeks.

For four guppies, you need a ten gal tank and two more females. You'll be overran by fry soon. Trust me on this one. I went from three to two to three to nine to seven. And I have nine more fry plus pregnant females in the wings. Also, is the tank cycled?

Khij159753 said:
My girlfriend got me a 2 gallon tank set up with 4 guppies about a week ago. 2 male 2 female. I'm pretty sure both the females are pregnant but how can I be positive? And how do I know when to expect the babies and how to keep them safe and raise them?

since we had already had the conversation yesterday on a different thread about overstocking, I won't harp on you in this reply :)
When female livebearers are pregnant they will develop a gravid spot. Which is a dark spot near the anal fin. As the female progresses in the pregnancy the spot will get larger and she will soon square off, meaning her body will look more boxy shaped than round. Gestation can be anywhere from 21-30 days, most of mine are about 28 days

So how big of a tank should I have if I'm planning on keeping my 4 maybe gettin 2 more females and planning on keeping the fry?

I think a 20 would be ok (but that's just my opinion), given that you're going to need the extra room for fry. And I always view that bigger can be better. I have a 29 for mine, it gives my guppies more room to romp and roam plus if I'm ever at the pet store and I see a gup that I like I know I have enough room for her :)

Okay. Thanks. Anything else I should know? This is my first tank but my dad used to have 1 when I was very little

So I came home tonight to find a baby guppy in my tank. I pulled him out and he's in his own separate little.... Jar. (best place I could find for him at the moment) what do I need to feed him and stuff? How can I raise him till he can be put back in the tank with the others? I need help!

Khij159753 said:
So I came home tonight to find a baby guppy in my tank. I pulled him out and he's in his own separate little.... Jar. (best place I could find for him at the moment) what do I need to feed him and stuff? How can I raise him till he can be put back in the tank with the others? I need help!

If you can try getting a breeders net or a breeders trap ( may both be to big for your tank) and floating it in the tank. He should be fine but he needs filtration and aeration like the parents.

You can feed the fry crushed flakes. Only put 1-2 in so he can try them. If he Dosent eat them then take the leftovers out.

You feed fry the same way you feed adults, you just need to use much smaller food. Crush some flakes into powder and feed only a teeny tiny bit at a time since it can easily foul up the water. I wouldn't add him back to the tank till he's big enough not to fit in an adults mouth. Definitely work on getting a bigger tank and read up on the nitrogen cycle so you get an idea of what you are in for.

I know about the nitrogen cycle and I'm workin on gettin a bigger tank, I'd have one but I can't convince my parents to let me have one cause we have no room :/

About how long does it take for a baby guppy to grow old enough to be put in the big tank?

Okay. I'm tryin real hard to find a way to convince my parents to let me get a bigger tank. How strong does a stand need to be to hold like... 20gallons of water?

Each gallon is 10 pounds i think so your tank weight 200 pounds waterwise

Might be mixed up but im tired and calling it a night

Bubbles0oO said:
Each gallon is 10 pounds i think so your tank weight 200 pounds waterwise

Might be mixed up but im tired and calling it a night

20 gallons of water would be 167lbs
1 gallon of water weighs around 8.35lbs most people just round it up to ten :)

Okay thanks. Any fish or anything I could put in a tank (when I get a 10-29 gallon tank) that would help take care of algea?

butterfly_koi said:
20 gallons of water would be 167lbs
1 gallon of water weighs around 8.35lbs most people just round it up to ten :)

Thanks butterfly, its late and i should be asleep lol

And plecos, and ottos are nice for algae ( ottos are schooling though)

Back
Top Bottom