Question about Pregnant Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

statisticsnerd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my guppies is so full of babies that she's about to pop. I have a breeding net set up for her in the corner of the tank, but I'm worried that she'll eat the fry. Should I put some plants in there with her to give them a safe place to hide or what? I don't want them to be eaten. Also, this is probably the only time I will want to keep the fry, so I don't want to invest in one of those fancy breeding boxes with a grate for the babies to fall through.

You should seperate her as soon as you see she's had the babies. She might get to a few before you can seperate them. What is this net like? Is it set up so the fry can't get out?

The guppy probably won't eat them as fast as you think lol You'll probably catch most of them still in there if she's left in there for a while, you'll most likely still have fry.

I've always left my guppies get fry in the main tank. By the time I came home from school my mom was already sitting in front of the aquarium, trying to catch each and every fry, to put it into the net.

The best way to catch these small fishies is to take a net and put the cut off end of a nylon stocking over it. That way they can't escape through the holes.

I don't like breeder nets. They easily collect algae on them and look ugly, or they stress out the mother-fish. How would you prevent your guppy from getting fries again? Don't you have any males? Even if you don't have males, females are able to produce up to three times fry after the last time of fertilization without a male being around. They can do that, because they can store the sperm. That's one of the reasons why a guppy is called the millionfish.

Back
Top Bottom