Rams eating eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petro88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a pair of gold long fin rams that I just got a week ago. The female laid her eggs on a oak leaf then they both ate all the eggs. Why? I have them in a 20 gl. With 2 EBR, a pair of dicrossus mocularus, and a pair of unknown apistogramma.

Attachments

• image-3847911394.jpg
    image-3847911394.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-3896837421.jpg
    image-3896837421.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 71
  • image-4103390086.jpg
    image-4103390086.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 82
they could have eaten them if they were unfertile, and sometimes they will eat them if they are stressed from other fish. sometimes for no apperarent they will eat them, let them breed again, and see if the eggs look fertile or not . if they keep on eating their eggs , you could pull the eggs out into their own tank,

First off congrats on the spawn.. Second of all that's way too many pairs of dwarf cichlids for a 20g. There will be many fights and there no room for them all to have a territory. They are new parents so they are known to eat their first few batches. Stress can also have an impact which it may of done in this case. Next time check if the eggs are fertile then artificially hatch them

It's going to happen regularly, two or three pairs to many - some would say a pair of Rams would be enough for a 20 especially when they mature, 2 or 3 breeding pairs in a 20 would be war.

First off congrats on the spawn.. Second of all that's way too many pairs of dwarf cichlids for a 20g. There will be many fights and there no room for them all to have a territory. They are new parents so they are known to eat their first few batches. Stress can also have an impact which it may of done in this case. Next time check if the eggs are fertile then artificially hatch them

I was planning on moving the EBR and checkerboard to a 36 gl planted tank that I'm treating for ick. I was hoping that I could keep the long fin gold rams with the apistogramma paucisquamis in the 20 gal.

It's really cutting it fine, 2 pairs in a 20 - at least you have a back up tank if things get a bit much. Surprisingly it might be the Apisto's that are the problem - I've tried twice before with 2 pairs in a 20, both failed because of the Apisto's, they are like little wasps when they get annoyed. I now have a single pair of Super Reds in a 15g and a another pair of Panduro in a 20g and my Rams in a 63g.

Back
Top Bottom