Selective Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to do a bit of a selective breeding/line breeding project with Endlers. I am not doing this for money or as some kind of a serious endeavor but more so for just fun.
I plan to post any questions that come up on this thread.
First question: What trait should I try to produce first... Colour, size or fins?

I want to do a bit of a selective breeding/line breeding project with Endlers. I am not doing this for money or as some kind of a serious endeavor but more so for just fun.
I plan to post any questions that come up on this thread.
First question: What trait should I try to produce first... Colour, size or fins?

I would also love to hear about other people's setups on similar projects if you have one!

I've been breeding guppies for awhile now it cool i have 3 different breeds I've been mixing da breed they have came out very pretty

I have several lines of Endlers. First thing is a must, get a group of fry and put them in a 10gal. After 3 weeks check for males every day and remove them. After 60 days of just females, they should be very large. Pick your best male depending on what you like. Toss him in the 10Gal for two weeks and wait for the results. If you have Endlers from more than one person, repeat the process only save the females for the best male out of your first selected breed project.

I have at least ten distinct types of males that breed true from three groups of fish from different people. It is a cool project.

Thank you for the responses
So with your setup are simply breeding whatever males you think are interesting with large, healthy females? You are not breeding for a certain type of finnage or for a certain colour?
One more question: I am finding it difficult to find high quality Endlers to start with. If I were to go to my LFS do you think that they would most likely only have Endlers-Guppy hybrids?

I have been doing some research on both guppies and endlers. I currently have some guppy breeding going on. The big thing to do is make sure you are getting a good strain. I bought one and the offspring were mixed very disappointing. It might be more expensive to get a good one but its worth it. Or if its just for fun and are not trying to breed any certain color go to LFS and buy some. Or selective breed cheap ones and see what gou can produce. Right now I don't have any endlers. Been a while since i have kept them. A good place to get them is from Adrian. His price is not bad and either is shipping. He also is willing to work with you I've been i contact with him myself about getting some and he is very helpful you can make an order to fit what you want. Lots of people have them and say they are pure or wild but they are not. Adrian on the other hand is the real deal. Big thing is to make sure it's what you want do t waste money just to have them. Get good strains of both.

Pet world or pet plant yes I'm breed for the best looks I've been giving the LPS them they sell out fast n by looks I mean color pretty fin best trait I guess

Every guppy can breed. The issue is that sometime I the tail is to big or to long the male can chase the female effectively and get her pregnant. Some hobbyist actually trim the tails so they can swim better.

Some one had told u can't but dats cool I want to breed my endler with one

Endlers and guppies can breed some people frown on it others say its ok either way the offspring tend to have amazing color and pattern to them.

Now that's a hard one. First is space, space and more space. The Pelco by nature will grow to its surrounding and even though it thrives in a clean tank they prefer dirty conditions. Think of them as any other kind of catfish. I have never had any luck breeding the common Pelco myself. But people that have say you need to simulate there natural environment as much as possible. Dark murky water with clay on the sides for them to burrow into. Also make a weave out of straw and place over the clay to simulate roots. When everything is right the male will burrow into the clay and make a nest then will trap the female inside until she lays the eggs then he fertilizes them and the rest is history. But don't quote me as an expert on that since I have never succeeded breeding them and they alway outgrew the tank so had to get ride of them. Anyway that's what I have been told I'm sure that there are people who would know better then me just ask around.

For Endlers swampriveraquatic.com is the best. AdrianHD of SwampRiver is the creator of many of the Endlers color types you see today. Keep in mind, these guys breed like crazy.

Hansypatty on Aquabid is great as well. They have hardy and very clean Endlers.

As for picking what males to breed it is a combo of perfect color and size. Size is the easiest trait to work on so focus on color.

For sure thanks um how bout tetras how would I do that but also wanted to know can u cross breed fish a new species would be cool to see

Just and FYI, most of the various strains of Endlers were developed by Adrian at Swamp River Aquatics and I would go through him. If you ask him what strains would support each other and or breed true he will help you out.

Back
Top Bottom