Sexing Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unstopaBULLFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently acquired a pair of GBR wild caught from a friend. One GBR is bigger than the other. When he picked them out for me the smaller one had a pink circle on it which he said was an indicator that this GBR is a female. I'm not seeing any pink on it anymore and it's had a day and has colored up very nicely along with the bigger GBR. Could someone help me sex them. P.S am I posting this on the right section? Just wanted to make sure.

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Well that's weird it just says upload failed when I try to upload a pic. What should I do?

Well that's weird it just says upload failed when I try to upload a pic. What should I do?

Try again.
I have problems seeing attachments in the last two days(even my own in my own thread!).
Generally speaking the larger is the male and if they are same age it is very good indicator.
Some other ways to sex that are not full proof;
Blue specks in black circle; female
Nuchal hump; male(almost 100% on this one).
The first 3 dorsal spines are much larger; male
Anal fin extends to reach past the base of tail; male

Here's a link with pics!!

Sexing Rams - SomeFin's Fishy | Freshwater Breeder | South American Dwarf Cichlids

What is your water like?(gH/pH/kH).
Who is in tank with them.

Many ,many things can effect the appearance of these guys IMO.

Still not
Working they're in there with 2 Juvie Angels 4 4 espei one SAE( will be moved) and one abp. They're cool with all the fish. The bigger one seems to chase the little one around. Ph is 7 last time I checked and not sure about Kh and Gh.

Thx bandit when I get home from the escape game I will check em.

A pic of the Rams is on my thread but it was a picture of them an hour after acclimation so the colors are different

I haven't been able to see most of the pics posted since last night either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442275325.667908.jpg the smaller ram (suspected female) (seeing pink on her again) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442275424.188409.jpg and the what I'm thinking male.

How long you had em? They look prettay prettayyyy stressed to the max..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Btw the second pics ram actually has the two elongated black parts of its fun you just can't see them because of the air stone. Anyways.. I'm not a ram expert like some of you.. So tell me what you think of them and try to ignore the bad photos lol

Haven't had me long got them Friday... I think their stress is from the SAE he is always chasing them so you can bet he's getting the ?. Hopefully that will relieve their stress

Haven't had me long got them Friday... I think their stress is from the SAE he is always chasing them so you can bet he's getting the ?. Hopefully that will relieve their stress

That's 4 days. Something is far from ok based on coloration and seeking refuge in corner. The sae is not a good tank mate, they may he cichlids but they're bout as chill as they come. What's your temp at? Lots of plants in there to hide in? I'd get the sae out asap as they're horrible tank mates to pretty much everything
What size tank? How big the angels?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The SAE already has a new place to
Go.. It was all
Chill until the Rams came in There the only fish the SAE pic on.. Until I rehome him in 3 days... He's going to the ten... Will net him ASAP. As for temp it is 82 Farenheit so I will have to cool it down in there ...the Rams are never really in the corner.. I just caught me there usually they're hanging with the Angels and swimming around casually around the bottom.

The two pics are different rams?
Both anal fins say male (to me) but EVERYTHING else says the are both females!
You got two girls IMO.
Keep your temp up at 82.
What are your water params(pH/GH/no3)?

Lol.. Yea I'm seeing some signs on the bigger one that makes me thinks it's a female now... Man I need to get better at sexing fish. SAE is acclimating in the ten ( it's like 7 degrees cooler in the ten) if 82 is ok for Rams I seriously doubt 86 is cause that's what the 29 gets to sometimes in the heat. It's a garage tank (No where else to put it in the house) ph is a neutral 7 but not sure about the others

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442277279.555633.jpg the smaller one. This is an earlier pic 30 min after a drip acclimation. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1442277323.156855.jpg the bigger one right after acclimation ( Yes Ik he was in the corner but he always goes to the corner when im there. Or so it seems because I feel like every time I come up and try to get a good glance of him he goes to the corner. Not a good sign:(.

Rams love heat only second to discus!
In clean water they all good to 90 in most cases(I try to avoid this though).
How often do you change water and how much?
Rams demand you step up or step it up!
They will not tolerate what may be even 'normal' nitrates(NO3) like other fish.
What makes you think these are truly wild rams?
I have seen too many of my own look very much the same for periods of time.
The 'stress' stripes don't worry me,but the 'semi' clamped fin on #2 is to be watched.
What are they eating?

Dorsal rays are telling me both fems as well.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom