Should i give up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
K so iv killed 3 preggo guppies now the first one idk how the second froze and the third i released from the breeder box caise i saw no fry. The water is fine so what is every thing i need and need to know i want every ones diffrent methods but should i givre up?

.....i have questions.
what are ur water readings.
how did one of your guppies freeze
how long have u had the fish
how old are the fish
what is the male to female ratio
how big is the tank
my method is to leave them alone and when conditions are right they breed and drop there fry, i then move the fry to a breeder trap for a week till they get there own tank.

Yes answer those question and we might be able to help. They are many things that could be happening right now.
Also what do you mean by you froze a fish? And moving them to the breeding trap sometimes stresses the female to much and she will abandon labour.

oh yes i ment to ask how u froze a fish that should be in water in the mid 70s

daveho said:
.....i have questions.
what are ur water readings.
how did one of your guppies freeze
how long have u had the fish
how old are the fish
what is the male to female ratio
how big is the tank
my method is to leave them alone and when conditions are right they breed and drop there fry, i then move the fry to a breeder trap for a week till they get there own tank.

Like i said the reading are stable. The heater in that tank was old (i have a new one now). I didnt event have them 4 months. The first one looked old so i might have been her time but the other two where very young they were small but still old enough to breed. I had 1 male and 2 females. 55 gallon and the second one is a 20 gallon.

stable dosnt mean the water was good, what are the exact readings? also what tank mates are i these tanks

In the 55 just livebearers and some cories and i admit i dont know the reading

Mckitrick said:
In the 55 just livebearers and some cories and i admit i dont know the reading

How do you know it's stable? I wouldn't give up just try a little harder and you probably will get some fry! It took me 3 batches of fry to get my first alive batch of labs. I would get a API test kit to test it could be a reason for your fish dying so I would go ahead and do a PWC. Also I would get more females.

What if that fish was bullied, or what if it was sick, or what if it was the weakest and couldn't withstand the poor water? Testing is important. This fish could have died from something completely un related, but we cant really say without a test result.

Bubbles0oO said:
What if that fish was bullied, or what if it was sick, or what if it was the weakest and couldn't withstand the poor water? Testing is important. This fish could have died from something completely un related, but we cant really say without a test result.

That is true or it could be a hardy fish.

The entire point of this thread was not to discuse how they diedits to have people tell me what they do if there guppy is goining to give birth

Mckitrick said:
The entire point of this thread was not to discuse how they diedits to have people tell me what they do if there guppy is goining to give birth

Were just trying to help so when your guppies get preggers again we don't want them to die! Don't think we're not trying to help :)

ok look heres what u need to do to get them to breed, the fish need to be givin a varied high quality diet, mix it up guppies love blood worms, brine shrimp, pellets bits of veg and they like to steal algea wafers from plecos. next u have to set the tank up properly for them dont screw around withbreeder boxes unless u want to stress your fish, leav them in the main tank and add hornwort, java moss and tall stem plants for the fry to hide in. next u have to decide if u want to remove them once u get fry, unless u want to give them there own tank i wouldnt move them yes some will be eaten by other fish but the survivors grow strong and fast. but most important you have to give them good water quality to ensure the best quality of fry but you CANT know its good unless u test regularly i dont want to come across as a tool but atm i have cory fry, neon tetra fry and 2 batches of molly fry (4 mollys holding in 55g) in my fry tank i do know what im talking about so pull it out and just buy a test kit or take some water to be tested....not hard the only way to work this crap out is to gather facts and if u have no way to get any what u gonna do?

Fishie said:
Were just trying to help so when your guppies get preggers again we don't want them to die! Don't think we're not trying to help :)

I know ur trying to help but i just want to know what u guys would do. i can solve the problen of them dying by listening to u guys tell me what u do when ur livebearers are gunna give birth.

read my post, i have told u what i do and im sure most will tell u its one of the the least stressfull on the fish. honestly fry and breeding behavior generally are just biproducts of good fish keeping....well moderate fish keeping in the case of livebearers..

Livebearers will breed with good water, good food, good temp, and room to romp and roam. That is all I do. good water quality is the most important IMO. Clean water = happy stress free fish = fish lovin' = lots of babies! I have over 60 fry at the moment (guppies, balloon Mollies, & Platy) I don't do anything to encourage them and allot of times when I have a pregnant female, she will drop very shortly after a water change. Not exactly sure if this is the kind of answer your looking for but this is how I get fry :)

i think the OP is hoping for an easy fix when there isnt one. oh wait yes there is....it is give the fish what they need. and that is good water and good food.

butterfly_koi said:
Livebearers will breed with good water, good food, good temp, and room to romp and roam. That is all I do. good water quality is the most important IMO. Clean water = happy stress free fish = fish lovin' = lots of babies! I have over 60 fry at the moment (guppies, balloon Mollies, & Platy) I don't do anything to encourage them and allot of times when I have a pregnant female, she will drop very shortly after a water change. Not exactly sure if this is the kind of answer your looking for but this is how I get fry :)

Clean water!!! You won't have any success without clean water. Your fry are a lot weaker then all your other fish and are more sensitive to nitrates which means you need to do even more water changes. But when a guppy is going to give birth I would do nothing. Putting them in a breeding trap will stress the fish and could cause her to abort. Put lots of bushy plays like java moss and the ones mentioned before! If you don't want to have any get eaten but don't want to remover the fry just remove your guppy's. Put them in a tank with a divider and they won't breed again until you take it out... They need a high quality diet of everything! I mean everything but make sure it doesn't have to much fat in the food.

First thing I would do right now is get an API and check the levels of your tank... Sometimes sexes can be impacted by the water parameters...

Back
Top Bottom