The Betta Finally Mated, But...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brilliant_Barbs_21

Aquarium Advice FINatic
They finally mated, but the styrofoam cup floated off and all of the eggs fell as the bubble nest popped. No saving that nest. But my question is how long until the female can lay her eggs again? Thanks ahead of time.
-Kyle

They finally mated, but the styrofoam cup floated off and all of the eggs fell as the bubble nest popped. No saving that nest. But my question is how long until the female can lay her eggs again? Thanks ahead of time.
-Kyle

I've found that 2 weeks of good intensive feeding gets the female ready to spawn again provided that she didn't get too banged up during the last spawn.
as for the eggs falling out of the nest, isn't the male still in there? He should be keeping the eggs in a nest he can make anywhere. I've had males just line the eggs up along the edge of the tank in on long single bubble line. lol
Even if the male is not there, just because the eggs aren't in a bubble does not mean they won't hatch. Keep your eyes on them for wiggling ;)

Good luck and keep us posted (y)

I've found that 2 weeks of good intensive feeding gets the female ready to spawn again provided that she didn't get too banged up during the last spawn.
as for the eggs falling out of the nest, isn't the male still in there? He should be keeping the eggs in a nest he can make anywhere. I've had males just line the eggs up along the edge of the tank in on long single bubble line. lol
Even if the male is not there, just because the eggs aren't in a bubble does not mean they won't hatch. Keep your eyes on them for wiggling ;)

Good luck and keep us posted (y)

Thanks! Yeah she didn't even have a scratch from the mating. I don't think the male even released all of her eggs, because my dog found it just as interesting as me, and attacked the tank, an it spooked them a little so they quickly stopped. And yes the male is still there, but all of the eggs got sucked up into the filter. :( I will keep my infusoria cultures going anyways, along with my brine shrimp just in case. I'm still looking for somewhere to buy microworms... Thanks! I'll keep you posted!
-Kyle

Hmm, have you looked into artificial hatching?
Next time, try not to use the filter until after the eggs are hatched. To keep BB alive on the filter just run it in another tank or bucket until then so they dont disturb the nest. What kind of filter are you using anyways?

2 weeks of conditioning really well should be a good amount of time for her to build up a good supply of eggs in her. Just make sure you are power-feeding high quality foods.

Thanks! Yeah she didn't even have a scratch from the mating. I don't think the male even released all of her eggs, because my dog found it just as interesting as me, and attacked the tank, an it spooked them a little so they quickly stopped. And yes the male is still there, but all of the eggs got sucked up into the filter. :( I will keep my infusoria cultures going anyways, along with my brine shrimp just in case. I'm still looking for somewhere to buy microworms... Thanks! I'll keep you posted!
-Kyle

You might find you will have better success at raising the fry if you don't use a filter. Betta fry are very sensitive to water movent so I don't even think about starting my sponge filter in their tank before they have had a week of feeding. Then, you put a sponge filter in there with very light airflow to just keep the surface broken up so that when the fry start to develope their labrynth organ, their is no film at the top of the tank to hurt the fry. Since these are tiny fish before they develope the organ, they consume very little oxygen so heavy areation is not necessary. I've done this in as little as 1 gal of water with no air so I know it won't harm the fry.
As for your brine shrimp, you ready shouldn't start hatching out the shrimp until the day the fry start free swimming. Brine shrimp is it's most
nutritious when it is less than 12 hours old. If you'd like my formula for hatching out Brine in 24 hours, just shoot me a PM ;)

Good luck (y)

Hmm, have you looked into artificial hatching?
Next time, try not to use the filter until after the eggs are hatched. To keep BB alive on the filter just run it in another tank or bucket until then so they dont disturb the nest. What kind of filter are you using anyways?

2 weeks of conditioning really well should be a good amount of time for her to build up a good supply of eggs in her. Just make sure you are power-feeding high quality foods.

I have not looked into it! Haha I will do that now! The filter is an HOB. I have a net over the sucking part (the kind in net-breeders, not sure if that will work) I guess I will just turn it off! :) thanks!

Oh I also forgot to add this, saw in an earlier post that you needed to find microworms...I've got some MW and banana worms for sale right now... PM me if your interested

Back
Top Bottom