Trying out the breeder box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
More for curiosities sake than anything, I've popped big mama in a little breeder box to see how many she gives birth to. I'm hoping I've done the right thing, she isn't ecstatic about it. Should birth tonight/tomorrow (it's been 4 weeks and 3 days now since her last drop - previous months its been 4w 1d & 4w 4d). The box strikes me as tiny though! You guys use these things successfully?

Hi personally I wouldn't use a breeding trap. I prefer to plant heavily with fine leave plants in one corner of the aquarium and let the young take there chances so to speak. It seems cruel because as you say they are tiny. If you want to rear on loads of fry your best choice would be to set up another aquarium and plant heavily,place the female in there for awhile and you should soon get loads of young and one happy female{not being chased by the male so much!}

Hmmm. Yeah, I've had huge success with fry in the main tank. It's heavily planted. I think as I said, it's curiosity more than anything. I get 10-15 survivors each batch, but I want to know how many she actually births. I'll put the thing away tomorrow. I don't like it one bit.

She's free. Poor thing hated that. I'm feeling guilty. Gave her a treat to make it up to her and now she's swimming around happily again.

And... Now she's small again. Had her babies. Saw two quickly darting through the plants. Wish I knew how many she carried - she gets enormous! She's the biggest mama in my tank!

Back
Top Bottom