Which tank shoukd i put my pregant guppy in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a pregant guppy and it's in a breeding net (since I got it it's been in a net) should I keep it in a net as it look like its doing okay or should I remove it and put it in a small tank by its self? (the tank is a goldfish bowl)

You definitely want to move it, the more space the better, you'll to add a heater to the former GOLDFISH tank.

Being kept in breeding nets can create a lot of stress for the female.

How large is the bowl it's normally kept in and what else is in there? Do you have a filter and heater?

It's in the net because there are 7 tiger barbs in the tank.

The goldfish fish bowl there is nothing in there and it's never been in there, nothing has ever been in there my mum bought it as a plant pot for some reason lol.

It doesn't seem stressed at all when I first bought her she was stressed but now she is very relaxed (I can hand feed her if that proves anything)

The plan is move her to the goldfish bowl later or tomorrow then when she gives birth move to my 200L (it's a peaceful tank) and let her live in there.
While the fry are in the bowl for a while until they get a little bigger then move them into breeding nets, divided them in to groups and share them between 5 nets Then keep a few and sell the rest.

If that bowl is cycled with a filter and heater, then I would go ahead and move her.

The bowl isn't cycled, what if I put her in there and do 50% water changes daily?

I personally don't think that's wise. It's certainly not best for the fish. They need steady parameters.

I just let my fish give birth in their main tank. I provide lots of java moss and other plants that allow the fry to hide until they are too big to be eaten easily. This prevents unnecessary stress to the females and the fry.

well if you put it in the tank it should have lots of vegetaion so when the female gives birth it will be harder for her to find and eat all the babys(fry) make shure that shes always full so that way when she gives birth she wont be hungery thus she will be less likley to eat the fry its usually hard to determine when they give birth they each have their own scheduel so just sit back and enjoy the moment

Back
Top Bottom