Will My Platy's Breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giantstx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm fairly new to aquariums, only having mine about 3 1/2 months, and a few days ago I got 3 sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy's. I noticed that one is male and two are female. Will they breed in my community 27-gal tank? I have neon tetras, ghost catfish and buenos aires tetras in the tank. I've never bred fish before and I'm concerned about getting a ton of fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm fairly new to aquariums, only having mine about 3 1/2 months, and a few days ago I got 3 sunburst Mickey Mouse Platy's. I noticed that one is male and two are female. Will they breed in my community 27-gal tank? I have neon tetras, ghost catfish and buenos aires tetras in the tank. I've never bred fish before and I'm concerned about getting a ton of fry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, I'd say they will for sure but tend to get eaten unless you have lots of hiding places.

If you have males and females in a tank, BINGO! A month later you will be overloaded with fry.

If you have males and females in a tank, BINGO! A month later you will be overloaded with fry.

not in that tank, do you want fry? if you leave them you may get a few every now and then, but not enough to over stock a tank. or drive you into kayos.

If you have any hiding spaces at all, you will definitely have some surviving fry. ?

~ BettaThanYou

Back
Top Bottom