Will platys and swordtail mate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karay

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have both swordtails (pineapple I believe) and coral blue high finned platys. I would like to place them together in a community tank but am concerned they'll cross breed. Is this something to worry about?

Hybrids

I have both swordtails (pineapple I believe) and coral blue high finned platys. I would like to place them together in a community tank but am concerned they'll cross breed. Is this something to worry about?

Hello Kar...

From what I've read, yes. You can have a cross between a Swordtail and a Platy, they're closely related. I'm not speaking from experience, but my research says that most hybrids are sterile. But, if you follow a sound tank maintenance routine, then these fish should be as healthy as any other.

B

Hello Kar...

From what I've read, yes. You can have a cross between a Swordtail and a Platy, they're closely related. I'm not speaking from experience, but my research says that most hybrids are sterile. But, if you follow a sound tank maintenance routine, then these fish should be as healthy as any other.

B

Agreed. Yes they can mate.. the offspring will most likely be sterile. Not proven though.

you dont need to worry about cross breeding of platies and swordtails, they will grow normal, I have some of that and it looks like a platy with a short sword..
Cross breeding of mollies and guppies is more to have concern, because they will grow infertile..

Back
Top Bottom