Angelfish stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Mac 1966

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone, I’ve got a 55 gallon tank (tropical) was thinking of getting some Angelfish in the future, what’s the best number to get for a 55 gallon? It will be a mainly Angelfish species only tank aside from some Corydoras at the bottom. Also how many Angelfish would be a good number if I decide to have them in a Community tank? Any advice would be much appreciated

The four are fine, the pair tends to hang out together, every couple of weeks they have a go at breeding. The other 2 tend to keep to themselves and get chased away when they find themselves too close to the pair. Nothing too harmful, but I think they would all prefer for the others to not be there and 55g isnt really big enough for them to stay out of each others way. A bigger group would have different dynamics to my smallish numbers, but i only have 4 and cant comment on bigger numbers.
Ok thanks for getting back to me much appreciated

Yea I did hear if you have odd numbers it helps with aggression but no idea whether it’s true. I’ll have a little think as I’m torn between whether to go for 4 Angels in a species only tank and have some tall plants & ornaments to break up the vision a bit or a Community tank with a pair.

I would say 2 or 4 and in a 55g community 2 would be my preference. You don't want a pair to single out a 3rd. Im not sure what the logic is behind having odd numbers. Unless its simply that odd numbers are more aesthetically pleasing.

However, if you want a pair and are getting juveniles you wont be sure of the sex. To have a better chance of getting a pair you probably want to start with 4. You can then rehome 2 if the others pair up. Or stick with the 4 as i did. Or buy a confirmed adult pair to start with.

Ok great that’s decided that then I think I’ll go with 4 in a community tank and see how I get on. Can u get different types/colours of angelfish as in could I have 4 different looking Angel fish or 2 pairs of the different looking and they all still get along? Or is it best to just have 1 type?

You can mix angelfish types (ie blues with marbles). Probably not a good idea to mix species (ie scalare with altums).

I started out with 2 blues, 1 died after a year, ended up adding 3 marbles in there (that's how i ended up with 4). 1 blue (the one in my profile photo) and 1 of the marbles are now paired. I wish i had spent some time looking for more blues rather than accepting what they had in the store on the day. Buts thats just personal preference, they don't mind. It took me ages to find the 2 blues in the first place though. I originally wanted philippine blues, but couldn't track any down.

Yea those blue ones look stunning! I rarely see them in the stores though. I’ll keep an eye out as I might get 2 blues and 2 others. Thanks for all your advice/help mate much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom