0.1g Planted Pico Cube - Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Copepods are a type of crustacean and are generally considered to be beneficial, particularly if you are adding fish. They are one of the highly sought after live food sources. Unfortunately they seem to have a boom-and-bust life cycle and populations are hard to keep going long term. They feed on phytoplankton sources in the water column typically, so should have no negative impact on plants or other life.

They help with sifting through substrate and help turn over the substrate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update: 3/20 - Pregnant Copepod

So last night while I dosing my tank with Co2 I noticed a Copepod resting on the glass that was bigger than the rest and it appeared to have two oblong shaped on either side of its rear section. After a bit of research, I discovered that those oblong shapes were egg sacs; this Copepod was in fact female and very much pregnant :)

Pictures below:

Attachments

• copepod.jpg
    copepod.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 64
  • pregnant copepod 1.jpeg
    pregnant copepod 1.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 64
  • pregnant copepod circled in red.jpg
    pregnant copepod circled in red.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 60
It is so tiny! Your plants are doing great :)

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It is so tiny! Your plants are doing great :)

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know! I would have missed it, had it not moved. I rushed to grab my phone to snap a picture before it moved.

Thank you for the compliment! I'm pleased with how they are adjusting and growing. I was preparing myself for the worst, as with a tank of this size, things can go wrong fast. But I'm pleasantly surprised at the growth I am witnessing, nearly every other day I see new growth from both the Glossostigma elantinoides and Myriophyllum tuberculatum.

So last night while I dosing my tank with Co2 I noticed a Copepod resting on the glass that was bigger than the rest and it appeared to have two oblong shaped on either side of its rear section. After a bit of research, I discovered that those oblong shapes were egg sacs; this Copepod was in fact female and very much pregnant :)

Pictures below:

Very cool - soon you will have tons of them zipping around! They will make a great live food source if you add any fish. If not they add some interest of their own to that size of tank.

Very cool - soon you will have tons of them zipping around! They will make a great live food source if you add any fish. If not they add some interest of their own to that size of tank.

Thanks! Yea I'm starting to see more of these guys; they're pretty neat. Just curious, what would you stock this tank with or would you leave it as is?

Thanks! Yea I'm starting to see more of these guys; they're pretty neat. Just curious, what would you stock this tank with or would you leave it as is?

LOL, you know me, I'm pretty strange when it comes to what I like! But, in all honesty I would add some type of shrimp as well. I really like the look of the Blue Velvet or the Carbon Rilis, I think their blue would stand out nicely. But keep in mind, I really don't know that much about shrimp LOL.

With the neos the care and requirements are the same, it's really a matter of color preference and availability.

The shrimp on the right is a carbon rili, the others are the result of the carbon breeding with blue dreams.

img_3187970_0_8b8a4b415340460bdd60344c63b47810.jpg

With the neos the care and requirements are the same, it's really a matter of color preference and availability.

The shrimp on the right is a carbon rili, the others are the result of the carbon breeding with blue dreams.

img_3187973_0_8b8a4b415340460bdd60344c63b47810.jpg

I can't see the image :(

LOL, you know me, I'm pretty strange when it comes to what I like! But, in all honesty I would add some type of shrimp as well. I really like the look of the Blue Velvet or the Carbon Rilis, I think their blue would stand out nicely. But keep in mind, I really don't know that much about shrimp LOL.

Haha, something strange is good and what's needed.

The other day I saw a scape on youtube that had some rilis, they are actually quite nice. Up until then, I never really cared for them. Maybe a lone rili would look nice.

Question Theresa, one of my concerns with keeping shrimp in this tank is the lack of a heater. I've never checked the temp in this tank and don't know how or if the temp fluctuates. How would this affect the shrimp?

Shouldn't be much of an issue with neos, most people don't heat their neo tanks.

Interesting, I did not know that.

What about water parameters? I'm guessing in order to stock this tank with shrimp I'm going to have to stay on top of my readings, right? BTW - I have yet to test the water in this tank :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom