10G FW Planted Build from start to finish >>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet work my man! Perhaps some wire loom to contain all the loose wires running around to clean things up, or do you have something else in mind?

Jesse

Sweet work my man! Perhaps some wire loom to contain all the loose wires running around to clean things up, or do you have something else in mind?

Jesse

Thanks man, I think I'm just going to zip-tie and pin them up/out of the way. They won't be visible when it's finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Quick update - Stand is built, tank has just been filled (a little cloudy from the substrate). I have ordered a nice piece of redmoor wood that I'm going to place centrally in the tank, I'm hoping its tall enough to break the surface of the water (purely just for looks). It's pretty large for this small tank but I think it will look really nice (I'll add photos once it arrives).ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447688868.376603.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447688895.322739.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447688909.631046.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447689074.469109.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447689087.917204.jpg

Now I need to plan plants! This is where I have little experience as I'm more of a saltwater guy...

I'd like some taller thinner plants in the background. I'm thinking ludwigia repens because I like the reddish color and they are easy to grow. I'd then like some broad leaf medium size plants and then attempt a carpet upfront (suggestions?). I'd also really like to attach something to the redmoor wood too.

You have a kessil, right? That's high light I assume.

Rotala rotundifolia can get red and is a thin background plant. Ludwigia repens is also nice. Ludwigia sp. red is a relatively easy plant to get to turn dark red.

For the mid-ground plants cryptocoryne species sound like a good idea.

Looks really really cool man!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Amazon swords are are thin and good background plants. You will have to trim them though because with fertilizer and good lighting they get huge.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You have a high skill level sir, and your experience shows!!!
I'm no engineer but I'm glad you made the base a bit wider ! My friend moves pianos, and he made me a dolly using similar wheels but they were more streamline with no locks which you need, but they could handle some good weight, just a thought, you could put a wheel skirt if you want to hide the wheels???
I'm impressed with this build , well thought out, and most of all you had a plan! By the way are you going to be finishing the top coat on the stand? Can't wait to see it stocked up and running!!![emoji39]

Clem

You have a kessil, right? That's high light I assume.

Rotala rotundifolia can get red and is a thin background plant. Ludwigia repens is also nice. Ludwigia sp. red is a relatively easy plant to get to turn dark red.

For the mid-ground plants cryptocoryne species sound like a good idea.

Hey, yea that's a kessil, on this tank it produces a med/high light. Thanks for the tip, I've just ordered some ludwigia repens.

Amazon swords are are thin and good background plants. You will have to trim them though because with fertilizer and good lighting they get huge.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not really a fan of the swords, I think they might get too big for this tank. I've ordered all of my plants and will list them shortly...

You have a high skill level sir, and your experience shows!!!
I'm no engineer but I'm glad you made the base a bit wider ! My friend moves pianos, and he made me a dolly using similar wheels but they were more streamline with no locks which you need, but they could handle some good weight, just a thought, you could put a wheel skirt if you want to hide the wheels???
I'm impressed with this build , well thought out, and most of all you had a plan! By the way are you going to be finishing the top coat on the stand? Can't wait to see it stocked up and running!!![emoji39]

Clem

Thanks Clem, it's definitely more sturdy and balanced with the wider base. I left it with a light grey stain for now. I may change it up at some point and or add a clear lacquer on top.

I'm not concerned about hiding the wheels, I think they look kinda cool. It's mostly going to live in my home office so the industrial look fits in with the room.

Update...

I've decided to go for my first dirt tank, so I've used about an inch of Miracle Grow Organic potting soil, followed by a thin layer of black aquarium sand (fine) and capped with 1-3 inches (more towards back of the tank) of dark brown Flourite.

For the centrepiece I have a nice piece of Redmoor driftwood that I have cut and mounted onto a flat granite tile (obviously buried under all of the substrate). I've also ordered 5lbs of Seiryu stone too that I'm going to scatter around the tank.

I'm going to wait until all of the plants are planted before adding water (all should arrive this week).

I'll post an update with my plant selections and some photos once they are in the tank.

Then it's time to choose the fish!

This is the stock lost in thinking of...

• 5 celestial Pearl Danios
• 1 Ruby red Pencilfish
• 1 Scarlet Gem Badis
• 2 Oto catfish
• A bunch of fancy shrimp
• Possibly a couple of mystery snails

I'm not concerned about bio load because this tank with the plants and bio filter in back can easily handle it. I'd have to strategically setup different territories and hiding spots to make the most of the small space.

Do you think the stock list is excessive? Do any clash?

I would absolutely love to also add a Siamese fighting fish (specifically a Koi looking betta). I had one in a similar low-tech setup I had a few years back and it was very peaceful. If it didn't get along I'd probably just setup another small tank for it. Do you think I could fit all of these fish in here?

Many thanks!
Tom

Thanks Clem, it's definitely more sturdy and balanced with the wider base. I left it with a light grey stain for now. I may change it up at some point and or add a clear lacquer on top.

I'm not concerned about hiding the wheels, I think they look kinda cool. It's mostly going to live in my home office so the industrial look fits in with the room.

I like the look already, one to be proud of too!!!

Clem

The aquarium looks great! I would recommend more otos though- they like to be in larger groups of at least 6. When I had otos, they always would school together. Also, I read on the skeptical aquarist that a group of otos share gut bacteria, which would help the group more overall. In my experience, they're active little fish and use the whole tank. I know a lot of people use otos in 10 gallons, but I think they might feel a bit cramped.

If you do decide to get otos, they love blanched zucchini to nibble on all day, especially if they're isn't much algae in your tank!

Back
Top Bottom