1 gallon tank...??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rreekers

Aquarium Advice FINatic
what can i do with a 1g tank?
it has a light and an under gravel filter (aka water movement)
-what can live in an area like this??

You're pretty much limited to shrimp. I can't think of a fish that would be happy in a 1g. You could do a planted ghost shrimp or amano shrimp tank.

i have never kept shrimp before, though i have wanted to.
what kind of substrate, sand or gravel?
what kind of plants?

- what is the best way to cycle a tank that small?

You could possibly have two or three red cherry shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda) in a tank that small, or some tiny snails. That's about it. They're pretty hard to kill, honestly - they eat the biofilm found in cycled aquariums and would benefit from an occasional blanched veggie or two. I see sand as being better as it'd probably let them scuttle around more comfortably, but gravel would work too.
Live plants would definitely be a plus, as shrimp love them. You could get some java moss (one of the hardiest plants out there) and a small rock or two, and maybe something taller like hornwort or a crypt-type plant. It'd allow for better oxygenation of the water (plants absorb carbon to produce oxygen) and keep the water clear.
As for cycling, I'd get a small hang-on-back filter like the ones from Red Sea or TOM (undergravel filters aren't really used anymore), some sponge media, and some media that has beneficial bacteria on it, such as a sponge from someone else's established tank. The pet store might lend you some. It'll take a few weeks, but it would be worth it.

Thank you for the info, I am going to do some research about them, and look at what others have posted on here..

maybe some others have more input or suggestions :)

ok, so i am going to do this! yay new project!! :)
but i have a few things standing in my way.
1. filter, what kind of filter to use on a tank that small?
2. how many shrimp could i eventually get?
3. do they breed, large or small batches?

You could possibly have two or three red cherry shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda) in a tank that small, or some tiny snails. That's about it. They're pretty hard to kill, honestly - they eat the biofilm found in cycled aquariums and would benefit from an occasional blanched veggie or two. I see sand as being better as it'd probably let them scuttle around more comfortably, but gravel would work too.
Live plants would definitely be a plus, as shrimp love them. You could get some java moss (one of the hardiest plants out there) and a small rock or two, and maybe something taller like hornwort or a crypt-type plant. It'd allow for better oxygenation of the water (plants absorb carbon to produce oxygen) and keep the water clear.
As for cycling, I'd get a small hang-on-back filter like the ones from Red Sea or TOM (undergravel filters aren't really used anymore), some sponge media, and some media that has beneficial bacteria on it, such as a sponge from someone else's established tank. The pet store might lend you some. It'll take a few weeks, but it would be worth it.

accumulating BB should not be that hard since i have 3 other tanks up and running with full or nearly full stocks (10g,29g,60g). there is really no room for a HOB because of how the light hood is set up and the plastic spash guard. i know 1g tanks are not optimal and i really wish that they did not even make them but i have one.. and it came with the UGF. i think they are a waste of money
and i only provide live plants for my fish :) its the only way to go!

- would it be beneficial to have an air stone in the 1g with the shrimp? i have a thing for air stones :)

so i set up the tank, and prematurely purchased 2 ghost shrimp, just to try it out.. i put tons of plants in the tank...

Thanks for the suggestion, i think that i may get one! i never really understood how they worked so this encouraged me to do the research. seems like the best filter option at this point !! thank you :)

rreekers said:
Thanks for the suggestion, i think that i may get one! i never really understood how they worked so this encouraged me to do the research. seems like the best filter option at this point !! thank you :)

If you look up diy sponge filter tutorials on youtube, you will see they are super easy and cheap to make! All you need is an airline and airpump and sponge, pretty much. Take a look, it can inspire you to get crafty ;) or you can try asking for someone to make and send you one of classifieds ;)

wow i feel like a failure, i managed to kill the ghost shrimp in a day! go me... but i can establish a whole list of reasons why they died so im not that concerned.

im going to get the supplies to make a sponge filter either today or tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom