1 Panda Cory left is ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aniistarr

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had 2 Panda Cory, i bought them couple of months ago and recently for no reason one of them stopped eating and died on Monday so now i have only one left and he is been alone since then, its been like 5 days and i have been trying to buy another panda Cory, but no luck. All the aquarium store either don't have it or are out of stock, i read Panda should be kept in groups and not alone, but will he be fine alone? and does anyone know how long can he be alone until i get another one? :( Please Help!!!

Corys should be kept in groups pf 5 or 6 ideally, this makes them feel secure. I would just see if your LFS can advise on if/when they are getting them in on their delivery and if they could hold some for you? Others don't like mixing breeds of corys but I have 6 Bronze and 4 peppered corys, they all get on great! Just thought it could be a possibility to explore if you couldn"t get the panda corys., i am aware that some people dont like mixing corys. could online fish ordering be a possibility? As im from the UK i couidnt recommend which companies to use on the US.

Yes, i read is best to keep them in groups, but i can only have two since my tank is 2.5 gallon. I went to Pet Land and ask them if they are getting more they said on Tuesday they will have them back on stock, and i heard is not good to get new fish that just arrived to the store until later is that truth? i was thinking maybe i will get it on Friday, if my Panda Cory don't die first :( he is doing fine eating and all but may get stressed out since he is alone :fish2:

The fish store usually quarantines fish fior about 3 days before selling to the public. You could ask them to reserve one for you untill Friday maybe?

Darklight, yes i will do that and get it on Friday after work :)

paytertot 10 gallon? :confused: i can only have 2.5 gallon in my house i wish i can have 10 gallon :( but is only 2 Panda Cory, maybe i shouldn't get one more, although i still have one left and i wanted to get one to keep him company :huh:

Aniistarr said:
Darklight, yes i will do that and get it on Friday after work :)

paytertot 10 gallon? :confused: i can only have 2.5 gallon in my house i wish i can have 10 gallon :( but is only 2 Panda Cory, maybe i shouldn't get one more, although i still have one left and i wanted to get one to keep him company :huh:

Well that's what I saw when I was looking them up one time. I wouldn't advise keeping only one because it makes them stressed but let's see if someone else chimes in, I may be wrong.

Panda cories are one of the shyer cory species IMO. I don't recommend keeping just one. But, even more than that, I don't recommend keeping any in a 2.5g tank. They really do better in bigger tanks, like 20g IME.
Any chance you could upgrade to a 5g tank? It isn't too much bigger space-wise than a 2.5g.

Panda cories are one of the shyer cory species IMO. I don't recommend keeping just one. But, even more than that, I don't recommend keeping any in a 2.5g tank. They really do better in bigger tanks, like 20g IME.
Any chance you could upgrade to a 5g tank? It isn't too much bigger space-wise than a 2.5g.

i guess that could be the reason why they are dying, because of the space. I had two last year and a couple of months later they died. so bought two more and recently this happen. I am thinking to upgrade it for a 5g tank or maybe don't get Corys at all :( I don't know what to do with one left, i don't want him to die too :(

Aniistarr said:
i guess that could be the reason why they are dying, because of the space. I had two last year and a couple of months later they died. so bought two more and recently this happen. I am thinking to upgrade it for a 5g tank or maybe don't get Corys at all :( I don't know what to do with one left, i don't want him to die too :(

I think your options are upgrade or rehome honestly

I think an upgrade to a 5 gallon would be a good idea, but I still don't think Cories should be kept in a 5 gallon. It would give your other fish some more room, though.

Yeah, a 5g is still too small for your cories to live happily, but it would give you a few more stocking options.

yea i probably need to get a 5g tank for my 3 bloodfin tetra and 2 swordtail and no more Panda Cory since most of you here said they do better on 10g tank or more... I love Panda Cory, they look really cute!!! maybe in the future :)

Thanks everyone who reply my post!
:thanks:

yea i probably need to get a 5g tank for my 3 bloodfin tetra and 2 swordtail and no more Panda Cory since most of you here said they do better on 10g tank or more... I love Panda Cory, they look really cute!!! maybe in the future :)

Thanks everyone who reply my post!
:thanks:
I am not sure how to say this, but unfortunately, a 5g isn't a sufficient home for those fish either. They need more like 20g at least to be healthy.
If you got a 5g, you could look into ember tetras, chili rasboras, dwarf spotted rasboras, Endler's livebearers, and least killifish to name a few. There are some really cool nano fish that would live very happily in a 5g tank. :)

I am not sure how to say this, but unfortunately, a 5g isn't a sufficient home for those fish either. They need more like 20g at least to be healthy.
If you got a 5g, you could look into ember tetras, chili rasboras, dwarf spotted rasboras, Endler's livebearers, and least killifish to name a few. There are some really cool nano fish that would live very happily in a 5g tank. :)

oh boy! :( so even a 5g tank wont be enough for my little ones, then my question will be what is best to keep in a 2.5g tank? :confused: maybe only one fish like a betta?

A betta would be doable in the 2.5 with a heater. They like warm water. I would still get a 5 gallon for even the betta by itself. The 5 gallon is better for two reasons, first being the increased water volume and second, you can get a better heater for it. They don't make very many good, adjustable heaters for tiny tanks.

I have a betta in a 2.5g tank. He is active and fun. I am not sure of anything else that I would be comfortable with in a 2.5g. Maybe least killfish, but not with a betta. I do agree though that even for a betta, a 5g would still be better.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom