10 Days In With Live Fish And NO Ammonia, Nitrate or Nitrite Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 75g tank that was running for about one month with just plants and a bunch of uninvited snails. 10 days ago I added 6 platies and a 75g bottle of Tetra Safestart. There are now 6 platies, 4-5 platy fry and more snails.

There is an ammonia alert on the tank and I have been testing the water for ammonia, nitrates and nitrite every night with the API master test kit and it has been nothing but yellow, light blue, yellow each night.

I'm pretty sure that doesn't mean I am cycled, but isn't that a bit weird?

I desperately want to add a pair of yoyo loaches to get rid of the snails, but I know they are not the heartiest of fish. Is ten days with no ammonia good enough to add some more fish or is the bioload of the 6 platies not enough to start the cycling?

Thanks!

Some narrow leaf chain sword, dense rotara indica and mayaca on one side, sine microsword narrow leaf, some telanthera roasfolia, apono crispus, vesuveus sword, hygrophila kompact and pennywort.

I forgot to mention that the platies seem to be doing very well and have become much more active.

Yes you are ready to start adding stuff. Just add the heartiest stuff first and work your way up. The YoYo loaches will each endless amounts of snails. You could have hundreds and they will be gone in a week.

Back
Top Bottom