10 gal planted betta/ghost shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pckerfreak44

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey, this is my first real time making a planted tank. So I figured I would put it on here so people could give me some tips along the way haha. I have a 10 gal that i just set up. Put some filter media from my other tank in there so should be good to go. I got a lot of work ahead of me, but I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out. :)
My first question is... What are some good plants to get? I already have java moss but I need more than that.

Here's the before picture

Attachments

• image-3905270948.jpg
    image-3905270948.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 127
I prefer anubias and crypts also. Are you looking for floating plants as well? If you are using gravel you might consider some root tabs to help fertilize. I never used to use them but a lot of people on here seem to and so I tried them out and my plants look nicer.
Best Wishes for your build!! ;)

You can also attach them to nice pieces of driftwood give it a nice natural almost zen look.

UPDATE: switched the gravel and am going to petsmart later today to get a heater. Anything else I'll need to get?

Attachments

• image-611746330.jpg
    image-611746330.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 102
What are root tabs? And I'm debating whether or not I should get driftwood... Isn't it expensive?

Root tabs are fertilizer tablets for your plants. Flourish makes some.
Driftwood can be expensive but shouldn't be for a 10g tank. Amazon sells it also, so you need to price shop probably to find a good deal. Driftwood with slate on the bottom ensures that the wood sinks and stays place. No slate and the wood may float until its water logged enough. There are several posts on here about conditioning the driftwood.

At my LFS they sell driftwood by weight. One big piece is usually more expensive than two or three smaller pieces. Smaller pieces become waterlogged quicker, and you can put them end to end for one big log effect (aided by plants hiding the gaps) or split them up.
Don't forget that driftwood will stain the water with tannins for a while. Harmless, but looks scary if you aren't expecting it.

Also. Do you think I need a heater. My betta was at my girlfriends house for a few months and her tank was unheated, now he's goin in my tank. So should I spend the money and get one or no?

Pckerfreak44 said:
Also. Do you think I need a heater. My betta was at my girlfriends house for a few months and her tank was unheated, now he's goin in my tank. So should I spend the money and get one or no?

How hot is it where you live? And what is the lowest the temp drop to at night and winter? If it doesnt get less than 24c that ought to be fine.

Yeah in the winter it gets a lot colder than that. Maybe I'll just use no heater until it gets closer to winter, then I'll get one.

I would look into a heater for sure if it gets that cold the change in temp even from day to night in some areas could be enough to shock the fish as I say better to be safe than sorry. Petco used to have Anubias attached to driftwood for like 10 bucks and I know petsmart here had some but it's usually a little more expensive like 15 bucks it's usually found already soaking in the tanks with fish

You need a good thermometer and I say yes to the heater. I'm in Indiana and I always have a cold house winter or summer. I keep my Betta at 78 degrees which is warmer than most homes any time of year.

Tannins last as long as they last. lol you can soak the wood until all the tannins leach out or you can just have water that looks like watered down tea for awhile and it gets better with every water change. Don't forget to read up on cycling your tank. Also you will need some Prime or other water treatment.

Back
Top Bottom