10 gallon beta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephen Rollins

Aquarium Advice Freak
What else can I put in with a male beta in a 10 gallon tank ?

I'm wanting to put a small 10 gallon tank in my boys room. We have a red male beta in a bowl that their aunt gave them. But I want to get him out of a bowl and with some other tank mates if possible ?

Asking for the beta experts advise :)

Not all bettas like tankmates, so if he you try him out in a community, make sure you have a back-up plan.
If he is community friendly, ember tetras, ruby tetras, jellybean tetras, celestial pearl danios, green neons, chili rasboras, emerald rasboras, and a variety of dwarf cory are all choices for a betta tank.
I have a betta with embers, and it was a cool tank.
Keep in mind, most nano fish are a but shy and do best in planted tanks. If live plants aren't an option, look into silk plants. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Not all bettas like tankmates, so if he you try him out in a community, make sure you have a back-up plan.
If he is community friendly, ember tetras, ruby tetras, jellybean tetras, celestial pearl danios, green neons, chili rasboras, emerald rasboras, and a variety of dwarf cory are all choices for a betta tank.
Keep in mind, most nano fish are a but shy and do best in planted tanks. If live plants aren't an option, look into silk plants. :)

Thanx for the advise. I'm currently cycling a 60 gallon tank now. I plan on putting Cory cats in first first for a while. I'm going to put the beta in with the Cory's first while I get the 10 gallon cycled then I'm going to put the beta in his 10 gallon and wanted to put some other fish with him. I'd he's by himself that would be fine too. I just don't like him being in a bowl with no filter and little room to swim.

absolutangel04 said:

What kind and how many dwarf Cory's can I put in a 10 gallon ?

Cool. You should hopefully be able to see how community friendly he is in the bigger tank then. Keep in mind, aggressive behaviors are often amplified in smaller spaces, but if he is chill with the fish in the bigger tank, I would think he would be ok with some tanksmates in the 10g. I suggest adding the other fish first, and the betta last.

What kind and how many dwarf Cory's can I put in a 10 gallon ?

The 3 dwarf cory species are C. habrosus, hastatus, and pygmaeus. Habrosus stay on the bottom more like bigger do, but pymaeus and hastatus tend to sort of hover mid tank. I have 7 habrosus in my 10g community and they do very well. It seems like a good amount of them. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Cool. You should hopefully be able to see how community friendly he is in the bigger tank then. Keep in mind, aggressive behaviors are often amplified in smaller spaces, but if he is chill with the fish in the bigger tank, I would think he would be ok with some tanksmates in the 10g. I suggest adding the other fish first, and the betta last.

Thanks for the advise. Really helps

absolutangel04 said:
The 3 dwarf cory species are C. habrosus, hastatus, and pygmaeus. Habrosus stay on the bottom more like bigger do, but pymaeus and hastatus tend to sort of hover mid tank. I have 7 habrosus in my 10g community and they do very well. It seems like a good amount of them. :)

I just read up on the c. Habrosus. And think I would do those too. As long as the beta gets along with the panda Cory's I'm going to put in the 60 gallon.

Sounds good. The habrosus is my personal favorite. I hope it works out. If the betta is ok in a community, you could add a school of like 8 chili rasboras (or a similarly seized nano schooler) in addition to the betta and cories as well.

absolutangel04 said:
Sounds good. The habrosus is my personal favorite. I hope it works out. If the betta is ok in a community, you could add a school of like 8 chili rasboras (or a similarly seized nano schooler) in addition to the betta and cories as well.

That sounds awesome thx

Back
Top Bottom