10 gallon Build/ Journey Thread :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyspot1000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am making this thread on the progress of the planted 10 gallon I have got today (1/15/11)

With the help of my friend, We got it setup within an hour, but I didnt rinse the gravel/sand, so now its really foggy.

Equipment:

Lighting: Marineland LED double bright lighting system/ 450 Lumens.
Substrate: Flourite black
Filter: Aquaclear 20 (100 GPH)
Heater: Fluval M50
15lbs of flourite.

I am soon to add plants and hopefully since I seeded the tank with cycled filter media, It will cycle within a week or so :)

I will keep everyone updated!

1st pic: Whole tank with all LEDS
2nd pic: Whole tank with only blue LEDS
3rd pic: FLuval heater
4th pic: Lighting system with my feet.

Attachments

• White foggy tank.jpg
    White foggy tank.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 216
  • blue lights.jpg
    blue lights.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 223
  • heater.jpg
    heater.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 220
  • lighting.jpg
    lighting.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 220
5th pic: Cycled filter media in media bag.

Attachments

• seeded filter media.jpg
    seeded filter media.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 200
Great! Looking forward to seeing how this progresses. Good start! Not too many people are using LEDs on the FW side yet. Will be anxious to see how it works out. I know ziggy has had great results.

Thanks! The water has gotten a little less cloudy, enough to see the heater now :) Yeah, This was the cheapest LED system they had and recommended ($80)

Once it clears up, I will take a picture of it with the white LEDS and the blue LEDs on :)

Tyler

I took some pics tonight! :) I decided to put on my background on tonight to make it look good. Possibly friday (Snow/sleet storm coming tomorrow) most likely saturday, I am going back to my LFS and getting some plants :)

Heres the pics:
1st pic: without background
2nd pic: with background :D

Attachments

• aquarium no back.jpg
    aquarium no back.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 10 gallon update.jpg
    10 gallon update.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 226
That fixture looks BRIGHT! Can't wait to see it grow some plants. Looks like the tank is clearing nicely. Are you going to put some hardscape in as well?

Im not sure yet, first I Have to see with my LFS what plants it can support. The managers wife said they could support a Reef aquarium, but I havent seen one on a Reef tank yet.

I plan on (if it can support it) doing low-moderate light plant setup with some nice driftwood.

As for fish, I plan on possibly adding 3 threadfin rainbows (1m,2f) , 1 lampeye killi, and Amano and rcs shrimp.

I am planning on getting some anubias nana for the tank. The amazons wouldnt fit in my tank though, and need more lighting than other plants.

Update:

I got back from the LFS and brought back:
1 cambomba caroliniana
4-6 contortion val
1 rosette sword
1 anubias barteri
2 lutea

and I transfered my banana plant from the 30 gallon to get more light (was growing quite nicely actually.)

I kinda think it looks ugly a little, but oh well. I will get some picks tomorrow, the tank is a little cloudy.

*Update*

All my plants are doing great. The banana plant, its leaves are starting to grow taller than they did in the 30 gallon. The cambomba is growing pretty fast! The rosette sword is looking better. And the contortion vals....Im not sure how they are doing. They look like they are not growing, but still pretty green.

I got this pic that I took the day after I got the plants, so its not that great looking as it does now. My camera is dead and I need it charge so you all will have to wait to see what it looks like next time!

Attachments

• 10 gallon update 1.jpg
    10 gallon update 1.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 198
Following -- I've been very interested how the double brite LED will work in a planted 10 gallon.

I was also. Ive heard of reports from some people sayin they arent able to, but I proved that wrong :) My plants are growing pretty fast

*update*

My plants are doing great! The vals are doing fine now, I was just over reacting about one leaf dieing.

Ive been feeding the tank for almost 3 weeks now and the parameters are:

Ph: 7.4
Ammonia: 0-.25 ppm (It was hard to tell, the color was close to both)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:0-5 (Also hard to tell from chart, in-between)

Back
Top Bottom