10 gallon glass cat tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most folks on this forum say that site is crap. I will say that I do mess around with it from time to time, but anything you see on there you should fact check with other research and talking to folks on here :) What part is confusing you?

Sorry but I disagree on the tetras, barbs, and cories. Generally a 10 gal does not provide enough room for schooling fish or fish that should be kept in groups.

Oh, it's no problem if you disagree. I just speak from experience. I have kept schools of tetras, barbs, and cories in 10 gallons (not at the same time) and they've done fine, grown to the maximum size, and lived out their full lifespan happily.

I have six corys in my ten gallon and they are all perfectly content, very active and playful

Different strokes for different folks. I don't think a school of small highly active fish can exibit their natural behavoirs in a tank that small. And I can't imagine putting a bio load of much more than 6 cories in a 10 gal and you typically want something in the top/middle as well. Just my opinion :)

That's what I was saying about catfish..they all like to be in groups of 6 or more ideally..that's why I don't reco them for a 10 gal.

I guess it's up to how much work you're willing to do to keep the nitrates down and your tank clean and happy. :T
I had a school of 5 bleeding heart tetras, a dwarf gourami, and and two ADFs in a 10gal and it was a happy community for many years. :)

Wow! I tend towards weekly PWC......does that help? With what I can keep I mean

In my experience corys have a very low bioload and are great at keeping uneaten food from sitting on the bottom for long, they are active but a ten gallon has proven to be plenty of room for my school, I love the way they play and goof off and would definitely recommend them

Which kind are the smallest? Pandas? Cuz some can get biggish...

yep! Same here. I have six in my ten gallon currently. (three peppered and three julii). They are very active and actually help clean the tank. Of course they won't eat rotten food, but mine spend most of the day picking through the sand to find little scraps the top swimmers missed. They're very entertaining and easy to care for. Got mine as .5" juveniles, and now about a month or so later they're all at or above an inch. If you decide on getting them buy sinking catfish pellets and they'll go crazy for them. :>

Which kind are the smallest? Pandas? Cuz some can get biggish...

The biggest ones I've seen for sale have been emerald or bronze corydoras, which can get around 3" and probably about 1.5" tall.
I'd suggest getting some that max out at around 2". Peppered corys, for instance. There are a TON of different species so just research before you buy and pick out a species or two that you like and would be able to manage. Corys generally stick to the bottom so you could also add some mid-top level swimmers as well. Maybe a school of small tetras or a dwarf gourami? Even a male betta could work. 10gals have a lot more potential for being well balanced, stocked aquariums than most people think.

If you are putting them in a 10 i would avoid the more common varieties like emerald and albino that can get upwards of 3". Pandas shouldn't get too much larger than 2". Julii's stay about 1.5" and they are my fav :)

Back
Top Bottom